Advice

Guest MOLLY

Guest MOLLY

Jazz snapped her ligament last September. She had the bone pinned till it fused and a figure of eight wire to replace the ligament, pin is now removed. The wire will eventually snap and will have to be removed also.

She walks with a slight limp, and will hold her leg up on uneven ground when trotting....Ive tried her on 2 daytime rabbits recently, not to catch but to give her a run to test her on the turns etc, she ran very well and there was no sign of lameness afterwards. She also runs flat out when chasing Khan, and again no problems.

I know she will probs never be ok for the long nights, big numbers, lamping anymore. But does anyone thing she will be ok for say up to 12 ish runs with say 15min rests inbetween, depending upon the previous run?

I am asking because i am torn as to what to do....one half of me says you cannot wrap her in cotton wool, she wants to work so let her have some? The other half says, im lucky she still has 4 legs so why risk it?

She doesnt hold her leg normally anymore when standing.

Does anyone else have experience of this or just a general opinions please?

MOLL.

depends on how old she is and how dear she is to you???

but if she was young say 5 and under i'd let them run now and then....the nice easy runs nothng to much but not just silly ones let her work

its better to live on your feet than die on your knees

If shes very dear to you then maybe just enjoy her company around you!!

Guest MOLLY

She is very dear to me Dicky, i think ive had a conversation with kane before about if i could clone any of my dogs it would be her. She is 8yrs next Sept.

I know running her with it wont kill her, and the very worst scenario would be her leg amputated.

I suppose ill have to take her out for the 1st trip lamping in the new season with the niave bunnies, i wont know till i try.

Thanks for all your reply :good:

MOLL.

moll you can ask a thosand people and they will all give a answer ... but there is only one person you should listen to .... YOURSELF ... you know that dog better than anybody and you know whats best for her ... :good::good::good:

Guest MOLLY
moll you can ask a thosand people and they will all give a answer ... but there is only one person you should listen to .... YOURSELF ... you know that dog better than anybody and you know whats best for her ... :good::good::good:

But thats just it socks...i really dont know what to do :cry:

If people on here had had the same problem with their dog and wished they hadnt ran it again then id know not to do it, then again if they still mananged id give it a go.

Sometimes i think...just keep her for a spot of ferreting. Other times i want to take her lamping. Other times just let her retire and enjoy the rest?

My heads a shed :blink:

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY
IMO Light work!!

Let her do what you think is best, you know that dog better than anyone on here Molls, as Socks says!

If it were my dog, I would take it easy with her, I would let her enjoy light work for a long time, not hard work for a short time ;)

Thank you....i think thats what i will aim for.

fuzzylampkin Posted Today, 10:20 PM

what advice did the vet give you Molly?

I havent seen the vet since the op to remove her pin, he is not my normal vet but an ortho vet i was referred to. At that time he said he could see no reason once the bone was fused that she could not return to running. I havent been back since it healed, so he hasnt seen her standing/walking etc. My vet has seen it and just commented that at least she still had her leg?

MOLL.

Guest fuzzylampkin

i think if that was my dog i would seriously be thinking about semi retiring or retiring her all together especially with her coming up to 8 years, but socks is right you know your dog better than anyone else.

Guest MOLLY
One of my dogs broke his last year and he stands just like yours, vets told me that he could break it again if he runs too much, hes just a pet, he has a good run now and again, but he never was a good worker hes got too much gob!

I think we have had this conversation before :unsure: I think what your dog had was completely different to mine, she no longer has a ligament, once its snapped its gone, so it cannot be snapped again? They fuse the bone instead of having a ligament.

fuzzylampkin Posted Today, 11:01 PM

i think if that was my dog i would seriously be thinking about semi retiring or retiring her all together especially with her coming up to 8 years, but socks is right you know your dog better than anyone else.

Thanks Fuzzy, it will be more or less that way.

MOLL.