Growth in Carcass

Ok one for the guy's that know a thing or two about deer. I was given a Roe Stag by a friend of mine and when we were butchering it we came across what looked like a large growth inside the cavity where the kidney's, stomache would be. The lump was quite prominent and hard to the touch and when we cut it out and opend it a creamy liquid came out of it. The fluid resembled Chicken Soup and smelled quite bad. Any idea's what this could be and is the meat still edible I never took a pic of the lump but I did snap the fluid and info would be appreciated. Cheers

post-17796-1239817150_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1239817160_thumb.jpg

it looks like an abcess, just trim the meat back where it was connected and it will be ok

thanks mate! :thumbs:

undi throw it away or use it for dog meat .. got told you have a steady shot , good eye : :blink: youl not be long on shooting another one :thumbs:

Possibly an old injury and it might have been one of the Lymphs that was very swollen, that is the part that removed damadged and toxin fluids etc after a injury or high stress.

Probably ok to eat however i would discard that part and use the other remaining parts, haunch, shoulders etc.

Ok one for the guy's that know a thing or two about deer. I was given a Roe Stag by a friend of mine and when we were butchering it we came across what looked like a large growth inside the cavity where the kidney's, stomache would be. The lump was quite prominent and hard to the touch and when we cut it out and opend it a creamy liquid came out of it. The fluid resembled Chicken Soup and smelled quite bad. Any idea's what this could be and is the meat still edible I never took a pic of the lump but I did snap the fluid and info would be appreciated. Cheers

Was talking to a mate who does alot of stalking and have also looked at my BDS disease ID cards and it sounds like TB. Get rid of it. Sorry you've already eaten it never mind ignore previous statement!

Edited by liongeorge

sounds like an abscess - pyolenephitis if it's a kidney, or reticulitis if the stomach - your post didn't make it clear

If an isolated case and the draining lymph nodes looked ok, then fine; but if any of the rest of the carcase affected then in all likelyhood, unfit to eat (that's not to say it'll make you ill, but likely to be rejected for onward sale)

Jim