advice for a pup showing no interest

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go along to your local foxhound kennels and see their young hounds, or any greyhound schooling yards there you will see what young dogs should look like, FIT NOT FAT!!!!!!

why should i need to go to see other dogs when i have my own,i have 2 8month old PUPS on!

and i never said FAT!

i said chubby ie not see all there ribs like an fit adult .

Edited by lofti75
go along to your local foxhound kennels and see their young hounds, or any greyhound schooling yards there you will see what young dogs should look like, FIT NOT FAT!!!!!!

i never said FAT!

i said chubby ie not see all there ribs like an fit adult .

i'm in agreement with you lofti.bringing on a lurcher isn't a race!give them time to develop properly.

as for the lack of interest just go out with somebody else and let it see a kill.i'm positive this will change the dog's drive in seconds

Mine was exactly the same until about 9 1/2 months old gets quite frustrating but he'll get there. I left a few rabbits lying about in the garden after i had been ferreting one day i went down to clean the kennels out and turned around to see the pup chewing on one of the rabbits had its guts out the lot i took the rabbit off her but she seemed keen to get a hold of it again so i gave her a bit rag about with it. After this she started chasing and then killing think its once they get a taste for blood. Atb mate,

I took him to the vets today as i am concerned about his weight and yes they agreed he is quite underweight for his breed, so they asked what i fed on, i told them dry complete but that i was thinking of changing to a raw meat diet as suggested by some people, you should have seen the look on her face!!!! She advised against it, but i have been doing lots of research into it since somebody mentioned it on here and it seems to make complete sense. Anyone have any thoughts?

i know how you feel [bANNED TEXT] mines nearly 13month now,the rest of the litter are flying mines really laid back shes had the best of everything and been schooled well just a lack of intrest ,still very babish.

hoping she comes good soon !

My dog was the same untill about 4 weeks ago, he is now 8 months old and would just watch the bunnies hopping away, no interest at all, my 1st mistake i realised was not having him on a lead when i went searching for rabbits, when i had him on the lead i could point in the direction and get him excited with my voice and plenty of encouragment, when he watched them and showed an interest i would praise him, i also encouraged him to investigate rabbit holes when we were out and again lots of praise when he did, just doing these simple things has made a huge difference, if you now say to him 'rabbits' he will scan the field looking for them, he has also chased a few when we have been out walking and i have made a huge fuss of him when he returned.

Give plenty of praise when interest is shown and if you can, take the dog out with experienced hounds to watch how it is done, the time will come when he realises he is a sighthound!!!

my pup is 8 months old now, and for the last 7 and a half has shown no real interest and i felt like you, then a couple of weeks ago ferreting with me and a mate it all changed it must of been like a light switch, his dog ran for the first rabbit but got she got caught in the net my pup jumped the net and maid chase, her first chase ever. then later on we just chucked a ferret down in a open burrow no nets just to see what would happen and she chase all 3 that came out. before she would not even bat a eyelid. give the pup time mate he will eventualy click.

Hi guys, i got a whippet/bedlington/greyhound/bull lurcher he's 8 months old but showing no signs chasing anything whatsoever. Ive been out daytime nighttime, not particularly trying to get him to do anything but just hoping the natural instinct might kick in! Anyway nothing so far and today i tried him coursing at caerphilly game show but again showed no interest. Any help or suggestions? This is my first lurcher.

Also he seems kinda scrawny, noticed today with all the lurchers at the show that he is really underweight, but he eats like a horse and was wormed a month ago. He does tend to eat stuff off the floor when we are out on our walks, could re-infestation be likely just a month after worming?

Cheers Dewi

Take your dog out on lamp and look for some easy rabbits ideally within 30 yards. Slip him with another dog even if its a terrier,Hopefully his jealously will kick in and give a chase Or catch a live one in a net or lamping and let it go for him rabbit will be shaked up abit.

With worming every 8 weeks.If the day after you worm the dog comes in contact with worms it takes 8 weeks for the eggs to hatch and become a problem.

Hi guys, i got a whippet/bedlington/greyhound/bull lurcher he's 8 months old but showing no signs chasing anything whatsoever. Ive been out daytime nighttime, not particularly trying to get him to do anything but just hoping the natural instinct might kick in! Anyway nothing so far and today i tried him coursing at caerphilly game show but again showed no interest. Any help or suggestions? This is my first lurcher.

Also he seems kinda scrawny, noticed today with all the lurchers at the show that he is really underweight, but he eats like a horse and was wormed a month ago. He does tend to eat stuff off the floor when we are out on our walks, could re-infestation be likely just a month after worming?

Cheers Dewi

As far as the age goes mostly I agree with every one else however the build part The Whippet bedlington part of your dog don't put on weight is he rough or smooth? you might have just inherited the 'Skinny gene' that I believe more than likely comes from the Bedlington part of the mix. I bred Whippetx whippetxgreyhound xBedlingtonxgreyhounds and I could never get them to put on weight.

If your dog had worms, de-worming once isn't going to do it....you need to de-worm again at the proper interval to get rid of whatever parasite your dog may have. When you deworm, you get the adults, but there are more that are waiting to "hatch" out in however many days that parasite's cycle is. If you don't get those, then your dog is reinfested again. I do not know what parasites are common to your area, so I cannot recommend a deworming schedule that would be appropriate. Perhaps it's not worms, but I would make sure before moving on to other possible maladies. Deworming is not typically hard on dogs, but a parasite load sure can be.

Heather

Cheers Dewi

Cheers Dewi

get him a few live rabbits and let him chase them in a open field

The best thing to do is forget about chasing anything, he's obviously not interested and trying to force the issue will do more harm than good. Dogs will chase when they are ready not when you want them to be ready. Just keep walking him and showing him, thats all you can do. If he runs quarry and keeps missing he'll give up, will lose heart, maybe start yapping, things that you'll find hard to change.

As far as putting weight on him. There is a difference between fat and muscle. I know it sounds obvious but if you feed him more without excersising he'll get fat. Build him up slowly. At his age he should start to naturally bulk up a bit now anyway. Its the protiens in what you feed that repair and buid muscle tissue but the body can only utilise a certain amount of protien at one time and any excess will be stored as fat. Feeding more in one meal will have little effect on muscle growth, feed smaller and more often to increase the amount of protein assimilated. Fat and carbs for energy protein to repair and build.

I feed mine a combination of dry complete and raw when they are young. The completely raw diet is difficult to assess in terms of nutritional quality for an average owner. The science behind complete foods has been carried out but brains far more capable, just read the ingredients and look for those that contain less cereal products. These tend to be at the higher end of the price range, You only get what you pay for.

When they reach a year old or so I give more home cooked diet. Roughly a third meat, a third rice and a third veg.....The veg I cook, I know its supposed to be raw but they seems to like it less in its raw state. In practice they get table scraps thrown in too....The occasional dry meal for convienience doesnt hurt either. Tripe, lamb breast, chicken wings, fish and game are all eaten. Paunched rabbits with the fluff on are eaten whole.

Just a quick update, cheers to all of you for your advice very much appreciated!!

Well, I've changed his diet to a raw one with veg/rice and after just 2 weeks you can barely see his ribs and his hip bones are also barely visible. I've had no problems making the switch, he has taken to it like a duck to water.

The change in him not only in build but mentality is quite shocking!! He has sooooooooo much more energy, he is running around the fields like a nutter and today I have had success, no not a rabbit, but he did sight and chase (very fast!) a HERON!! It just took off in front of him and flew the length of the field low to the ground so that he could just keep up with it but not quite reach it!! It is the fastest i have ever seen him go proper back arching/whipping motion it's fantastic!!

Here's hoping this has sort of sparked something in him and when he next sights a rabbit he might have a chase!!!

Cheers again

Dewi

Cheers Dewi

feed it raw rabbit, then throw few live ones in pen with it, once hes heard that squeal he should be keener, if no good then get rid he sounds timid, does he run with other dogs or is he scared, try that as well but ive never known a decent dog to show no intrest, defo has nothing to do with worms, or weight, the dog should still chase no matter what condition just might not catch. the breeding sounds odd as well why beddy and bull? conflicting breed there either one or other, might just have too much terrier not enough running dog.