Duff primers, or what??

I was out this morning with the 204, trying to find a load it likes.

Got roughly 35-50% of my round as dud, which is obviously very worrying.

I checked the primer, they've bit hit good and hard by the firing pin.

Looks like they're seated in the pocket correctly too.

So, could this be naff brass (it's Remington) or is it most likely just a duff batch of primers, so chuck them and get some fresh ones?

Will post pictures of successful rounds and the misfires later, but just rushing off to Bisley now!

Any help gratefully received :)

I had the same problem with about 3 or 4 different powders - took an assorted (but labelled!) box of stuff to try.

Looking like the primer then. My only thought was that maybe the pocket could be oversize internally or something, but they all seated properly, with the correct level of force needed.

Guess I will have to try some of those primers in a 223 load and see what happens...

I'm going to confess to being a berk.

I had washed these cases and (I thought) thoroughly dried them before loading. But they couldn't have been as I pulled the duff bullets off and powder was clumped. Primer had gone, but no ignition of the powder charge.

Which leads me on to this one... since then the brass has been cleaned again, and, not wanting this again (I need to get them loaded once more for some actual shooting, not just load testing!) I have tumble-dried the cases.

Slapped them in t'other half's washing bag (it's for horse kit, to keep the hair out of your clothes) and tumble dried for about 25 minutes. Cases came out baking hot, very dry, and more importantly, a bloody side cleaner than when they went in - they're sparkly, brand-new clean now.

This was unexpected but unless there are side-effects that I've missed I shall be doing this from now on!