Keeping Chickens in the back yard

My other half as decided to have chickens in the back garden,she as a 6x4 shed with a run attached which is 7ft long and 6ft wide is this ok to keep chucks in,sorry if its a daft question but its the first chickens we have had.Also what type of chicken should she go for ie good egg layers,easy to look after.

And last questions what type of foods do you feed them on ie corn,layers mash etc.And could anyone recommend a good book on chickens.Thanks MTP

My other half as decided to have chickens in the back garden,she as a 6x4 shed with a run attached which is 7ft long and 6ft wide is this ok to keep chucks in,sorry if its a daft question but its the first chickens we have had.Also what type of chicken should she go for ie good egg layers,easy to look after.

And last questions what type of foods do you feed them on ie corn,layers mash etc.And could anyone recommend a good book on chickens.Thanks MTP

I have Rhode Island Red x and White Star breeds and feed layers pellets and kitchen scraps they are easy to look after just keep the water clean and food hoppers topped up and plenty of grit make sure the run is charlie proof

Lots of straw and woodshavings and somewhere to perch and a box to lay in and bobs your uncle your ready to go

How many are you thinking of getting?

i've got a hybrid i think its rhode island red x something But th place i got them they called them ginger nick?? (crap name i know). but what a bird lay everyday neer miss a beat and they are pains in the arse like the pure bred light sussex its horrible and just not the bird i would choose again (i think its gettin the chop soon if it carrys on)

You want leghorns for good laying (or any other breed with white "earlobes" !). Feed them corn as a treat but dont overdo it, they need greens, grit and depending on age crumb (for chicks), growers pellets (< 20 weeks old) or layers pellets for 20 wks +

not trying to put you you off here mate but ive just moved my hens from the garden to my dads allotment i had them in the garden 3 mounths and the rats were here we all no on this site were theres chickens theres rats :no:

i agree i have proberly the worst feeder going in regards to rats but never had a problem a mouse or two but i have 2 cats so that sorted that, every so often when i wake in the night i flick the lamp on over my coop and never see an rats.

i will disagree with all the breeds for laying ability the

white star 300 eggs a year

roady 300 a year

leg horn 250 280

susex 280 300

the hen for laying ability is the hybred warren/icerbrown will lay 365 eggs a year these are the same birds they use in free range and battry farms for egg laying they will lay you one aday from the day they start what ever you do only get young point of lay birds dont start rehomeing ex battry hens they may never lay you a single egg

not trying to put you you off here mate but ive just moved my hens from the garden to my dads allotment i had them in the garden 3 mounths and the rats were here we all no on this site were theres chickens theres rats :no:

Not bothered about the rats mate,they will scare off the mice that live under my ferret shed,that get in and chew my purse nets :laugh: .Got plenty of traps to keep the rat numbers down. :thumbs: .

We have decided to start with 4 chickens,my other half was talking about them ex battery hens,would they make ideal beginers chickens??.They look a bit moth eaten to me,didn't know if they would need special food to grow thier feathers back. :hmm:

Edited by MR TEA POT