GWP first time shooting

Was out doing a bit of training with Pointer and his GWP Alfie, Pointer started him on a 30ft line and he gradualy let him out until he let it trail behind this big lad.

picz2001.jpg

He was steadier than either of us thought and hunted close to us.

picz2007.jpg

Pointer making Alfie remain steady at a distance

picz2005.jpg

I managed to shoot a few eventually and Alfie put in some good retreives.

He also came on Point very well.

picz2008.jpg

picz2010.jpg

picz2011.jpg

All in all a good start for Alfie and i look forward to shooting over him again.

It was ironic as it was 3 years to the day i lost my GWP and here i was with a cracking example of the breed.

Mack RIP

pics06046.jpg

Dave.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cheers mate will give it a shot

the first time i tried it i used the lead attached straight to the dogs collar but it kept getting wrapped around his legs and caught up on reeds etc.then i happened to see a book on tracking which my mate was reading at work and they use harnesses on their german shepards.i already had a harness from when my lurcher broke her neck and it worked a treat.

cheers mate will give it a shot

the first time i tried it i used the lead attached straight to the dogs collar but it kept getting wrapped around his legs and caught up on reeds etc.then i happened to see a book on tracking which my mate was reading at work and they use harnesses on their german shepards.i already had a harness from when my lurcher broke her neck and it worked a treat.

i will have to txt me mam to get one in america

why kiwi? they are after all german wire haired pointers.

the lead is 30 foot but i dont think ill need it for long.

I dont think he will need it long mate, he did alot better and was alot steadier than i expected.

After a few times loos the lead and leave the harness on then after a few more shoots loos the harness, he wont relise the difference (in theory)

But i think by next season he will be on the way to becoming a very handy dog :good:

Dave.

why kiwi? they are after all german wire haired pointers.

the lead is 30 foot but i dont think ill need it for long.

they are so much more than just pointers, they deserve to be called by thier proper name of german wirehair.......you english added the pointer bit to it's name...... :icon_redface: just having a rant mate :D

fair point kiwi,i like these dogs for their hunting ability...............though the pointing bit is handy............and the retrieving is nice but not as important to me.

for me its all about the H rather than the P and R with these HPRS :D