how about a hot water bottle in her crate.

Good tip dwalin, but not too hot. About body heat only, and wrapped in a towel or the "old jumper" mentioned by poacher.

I am disappointed by the number of people who post about barking whining puppies. Why are they not prepared for the new arrival?

A pup who has after all, been on the earth only 8 to 10 weeks, and always slept with the warmth and company of it's litter mates, is left in a box in a shed or cold kitchen, and expected to be quiet and content. There has been no end of good advice given on here,and easy to access, but still the same questions keep coming.

why dont you read whats been written on here, then either try and help or shut the f**k up

I have read what's on here, and some good advice has been given. As I said before, so much advice already, yet folks are still taking on pups without any preparation, this includes you, water sprayer!! Say what you like to me, people like you who start swearing instead of reading what they are taking on are just typical of whats wrong with this site. I care only about the pups, good luck with it.

anagallis_arvensis, just give the pup time, its still young and will get over it soon enough. I wouldn't even bother spraying it with water, I'd just leave it at night, even if it does whinge, as it will realize that it will soon see you again when you get up in the morning and come down into the kitchen to it.

It'll grow out of it mate, just give it some time.

I always start pups off in the house even if they are to be kenneled later on. People say that you must start as you mean to go on, but being left alone in a kennel feels like rejection to a puppy. Treat it like the baby it is to begin with, let it gain confidence in you and its surroundings, don't leave it for hours on its own, and later on you can get it used to a kennel by firstly feeding it in there, then leaving it for just a few moments to begin with.

My pups are in the house when I'm around but they go in a kennel and run when I'm out, always with plenty of bones and things to play with.

As far as crates are concerned, even my adult dogs queue up to lie in them so its never put them off at all. They see it as a safe cosy place to sleep. Wrap a blanket over the top and back and sides, just leaving the front end with the door uncovered. Feed the pup in there to begin with so it doesn't just see it as a place to be shut in: leave the door open when the pup's not in there and often you'll find that they go in to sleep during the day.

The crate needs to be big enough for a warm bed at the back end and an opened out newspaper covering the floor of the front half if the pup gets caught short in the night. Don't forget to put water in there as well: one of those bowls you fix to the side of the cage is ideal as they can't knock it over.