New Kennels

Building new kennels ,using mesh panels for the runs , but want some ideas for the sleeping box/areas ,thought about buying the wooden sleeping boxes or building block ones and line with ply and heat lamp for winter? i want something thats warm in winter but not too hot in summer ... hence block with ply lined ? ....what you think? Thanks

I have always used a pallet base topped of with ply the a surround which is well higher than the dog when lying down and as long as his kennel is water and draught proof thats all they need,good whelping boxes as well.

P.s when You coming up lamping

soon as i get back mate... whens your next show? seen Les lately?
May 10th come up I am sure there are a few on here you would like to meet,

no havent seen Les for a while have to give him a ring.

What dogs have you got now

What is the weather like where you are now its a windy as hell here and cold

oh i theres a few id love to meet lol , ive a bull cross bitch ,lost my dog in sept bit of bad luck ,but got new pup coming hopefully spring ,

weather its in 80s nice but it will get unbearable before long,

Thanks lads, thinking about building block sheds big enough for me to walk in with tiled roof and old pvc door then with gap /hole going into run then put wooden box in and put heat lamp in on roof of block shed,so hopefully cool in summer and warm in winter.

Here's the boxes I use. sort of a combination summer/winter house. about three feet x five feet. With these, you don't need either a block shed or a heat lamp. Also, instead of the fancy doors. I use strips of old 4" fire hose.

IMG_0655.jpg

Here's the directions and description. Mine look like hell. But you could dress them up real nice I think.

Good luck with your new kennels Deerman!

ATB Mickey Finn

http://leerburg.com/doghouse.htm

The Best Cold Weather Dog House I Have Seen

Copyright 1998

By Ed Frawley

The dog house design that I use was borrowed from the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) in Canada. Feel free to barrow it from me. This is the best design I have seen for a dog house in a cold climate. It's not uncommon for our dogs to have to stay outside in 30 degrees below zero weather with strong winds. I never feel badly about the dogs because of these houses.

The houses are 3' x 5' - the tops are hinged and lift up for cleaning.

The key to the dog house is the placement of the door into the sleeping chamber. It's near the front of the house and not the rear. Most people make a mistake and put the door to the back of the house. When the wind blows in it goes to the rear wall. If the opening to the sleeping quaters is off the rear wall the wind blows right in. When the opening is near the front the wind will hit the back wall and swirl and die back there. This translates into a lot less wind inside the sleeping quarters.

The most important place for insulation in a dog house is the floor. These houses have an inch of styrofoam under the floor board. In the winter I will put another 1 inch piece under 12 to 18 inches of straw in the sleeping area. I also have styrofoam on the walls in the sleeping area.

I use 2 types of doors. With adult dogs I will use the pick wick 2-way door. It’s sold by Mason Fence. You can find their ads in Dog World Magazine. Be sure and tell them that you want medium springs on the doors so they do not hurt your dog’s tail. The normal spring that comes on the doors will hurt a tail. With puppies and dogs that are visiting I use 6-inch wide rubber flaps. We go to our local farm supply store and buy belts for tractors. These are heavy duty and the dogs cannot chew them.

I also put an aluminum wrap around the sleeping quaters opening. Dogs tend to lay in there and get bored, they will start to chew - the aluminum stops this. In the winter there is fresh straw, in the summer it is all taken out. The only time dogs use the houses in the summer is when it rains. I do not like keeping straw in them during the warm months because it's too easy for bugs to grow in there