Just an idea for recall once the lamp goes off.

I've just returned from a quick half hour go in the fields with the lamp and the hound, had 6 runs and 2 caught, a couple courses were excellent sport, nice turns, nice cut offs etc. I have a little trouble sometimes with the hound coming straight back once the lamp is off, I know with a bit of persevering with training I could probably get this down but I had an idea. Does anyone know if rabbits can hear a silent dog whistle?, if not then this would be the most simple way to train the 'lamp off' recall. I guess even if the rabbits can hear it they may not be bothered by it. One thing I do know the bunnies would have heard tonight would of been me getting the crotch of my trousers hooked on the barbed wire fence and subsequently face planting the other side with dog in one hand and lamp in the other, thus no hand free to break my fall, then dog deciding to launch over on top of me rattling the old wire fence like buggery, but thats a different story!

Just an idea which I don't know if it has been covered on here, give us your thoughts.

I've just returned from a quick half hour go in the fields with the lamp and the hound, had 6 runs and 2 caught, a couple courses were excellent sport, nice turns, nice cut offs etc. I have a little trouble sometimes with the hound coming straight back once the lamp is off, I know with a bit of persevering with training I could probably get this down but I had an idea. Does anyone know if rabbits can hear a silent dog whistle?, if not then this would be the most simple way to train the 'lamp off' recall. I guess even if the rabbits can hear it they may not be bothered by it. One thing I do know the bunnies would have heard tonight would of been me getting the crotch of my trousers hooked on the barbed wire fence and subsequently face planting the other side with dog in one hand and lamp in the other, thus no hand free to break my fall, then dog deciding to launch over on top of me rattling the old wire fence like buggery, but thats a different story!

Just an idea which I don't know if it has been covered on here, give us your thoughts.

it makes me so grumpy if my dogs arnt back by my side when the lamp goes off.....if any of my dogs mess about lamp goes off and im walking away from them quickly...as soon as they think iv gone and there lost it soon sorts them out..i just wont have them hunting up.....

it makes me so grumpy if my dogs arnt back by my side when the lamp goes off.....if any of my dogs mess about lamp goes off and im walking away from them quickly...as soon as they think iv gone and there lost it soon sorts them out..i just wont have them hunting up.....

I see what you're saying. Il give it a try although I reckon my dog wont give a flying f**k if I walk off when there are bunnies sat out in the field. Cheers though.

Edited by jaegervulpes

how old is your dog? if its only young then just persevre with always lamping it off a slip lead, after a while the dog will realise it only gets to catch when the light is on and is let of the slip so if it misses it wont bother hunting up it will just come straight back ready for the next rabbit. if its an older dog and theres lots of rabbits out then just keep lamping it and lamping it till all the rabbits are gone and the dog is f****d then it'll come back for a rest and will have hopefully learned a bit of sense and always come straight back after every run.