Travelling

I guess ive been pretty unsettled and unhappy with life the last few years,i keep getting this urge to just pack up and move on.

Ive always wanted to travel and its on my mind more and more lately,not really sure where to start,but i reckon i can have my finances sorted and in place within the next couple of years. That will make me 48 years old,not young i know,but im a fit fella for my years.

Been thinking about hitching down to Dover,catching the ferry across the pond and starting in France. My aim,at least at the moment would be to trek towards China,using my thumb to hitch rides and just visiting places along the way.

Iknow there will be books on this but i thought i'd see if anyone on here has done anything like this and if anyone could offer any advice.

I will have some savings and also plan to rent my flat out while im away to supplement my savings.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. :victory:

I guess ive been pretty unsettled and unhappy with life the last few years,i keep getting this urge to just pack up and move on.

Ive always wanted to travel and its on my mind more and more lately,not really sure where to start,but i reckon i can have my finances sorted and in place within the next couple of years. That will make me 48 years old,not young i know,but im a fit fella for my years.

Been thinking about hitching down to Dover,catching the ferry across the pond and starting in France. My aim,at least at the moment would be to trek towards China,using my thumb to hitch rides and just visiting places along the way.

Iknow there will be books on this but i thought i'd see if anyone on here has done anything like this and if anyone could offer any advice.

I will have some savings and also plan to rent my flat out while im away to supplement my savings.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. :victory:

You only get the one shot at life, don't dwell on it for too long, just go with your gut feeling and enjoy :drink:

Go for it, if you have back up money and somewhere to come home to, why not?

I really hope i get to travel the world 1 day, it scares me to think i might lie on my death bed and regret the things i DIDN'T do.

Good luck!

Traveling in todays society is so easy. I would recommend you make a plan of roughly where you want to go, europe is fine but very expensive compared to the rest of the world!

The cheapest and i think most effective way of doing it is to get a round the world ticket, these are generally about £1000 but you get 4/6 stops as long as you go the same way round the world, they are very flexible and you can swap and change easily from anywhere in the world. Although the idea of having no plan or tickets booked etc is lovely and romantic, the reality is often very different, buying last minute flights are costly and you need to think of practicalities like, immunisations, visa's, weather etc.

STA Travel are fantastic and run by people who are extremely well travelled, Lonely Planet books are also fantastic and like a bible! STA's website also has a section/forum for people thinking of traveling and wanting a traveling buddy, a great place to make connections. The Green directory is a brilliant book, it basically lists thousands of conservation style projects across the world which you can do, some are voluntary and free to do, others you are funded by people paying minimal amounts to attend. . . . . . .tracking Timber Wolves in Canada, studying Colobus monkeys behaviour in Africa. . . .are just a couple of examples.

Most importantly i would say is to go with an open mind to culture and race, if your friendly and honest you'll not go far wrong. When i travelled Africa i met a guy at Heathrow, we swapped numbers and 6 months later i met up with him in Cape town and spend a couple of weeks with him. Generally you'll meet tons of like minded people across the world and will never be lonely.

My time in Africa was the best thing i've ever done in my life and will never be topped, the memories and experiences were mind blowing.. . . . . Hand rearing a lion cub 1 minute, counting game from the air by helicopter the next. The friendships i made were some of the strongest i have and they are global. I tailored my trip specifically to Africa as i was working for Born Free at the time and craved "real" African wildlife, but my next trip will be more varied.

Age is never an issue, i spent 3 weeks with a 63 yr old widow, she smoked, drunk and kept up with us better than most!

Best of luck in what will be the best experience of your life. x

www.couchsurfing.com

A friend of mine is on her way around the world staying with people she met through this website. She's having a great time and would recommend it to anyone. There is a rating system so you have some idea who you're dealing with.

Theres a big world out there and you only get one chance to see it. Plan you route roughly before you go and try to stay away from hostile territorys. Personly i would head to spain and start there then north africa from egypt to saudi or dubia Get on a plane to india, Avoiding iraq and all them shitty places. Walk across india taking in the himalayas and tibet, Down to china, On to japan then hawaii. On to america up the east coast to canada across to the west coast and down to miami. West indies. back to europe take in a few cities and back home to good old blighty. With many a story.

Dont forget the post card

Wow.loads of good advice and good links,thanks everyone.

Taking my daughter out tonight and im going to tell her of my plans,also been on amazon to get some books on the subject.

Thanks again for all the advice,comments and info. :victory: