Gun Cabinet

I have this gun cabinet

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/6-7-rifle-vault.html

I was wondering if anyone knew if its acceptable to turn it upside down, so that the doors opens to the left, instead of to the right?

The cabinet would fit quite a bit better if the door opened to the left.

I assume it would be ok, as it looks almost identical either way up, and I can't really see any reason why there would be a problem with this.

Worth checking with the Feo though do you think?

Thanks

I will be fixing the back of the cabinet to a brick wall using 4x M 8 rawlbolts. As the floor is wooden, I wont be fixing the cabinet to the floor this time.

The only real difference in fitting it upside down is that the top of the cabinet will have 2 holes in it. However my ammo safe will be on top of there anyway.

I think this should be ok? I'd quite like to fit it this evening

Hi Elvolcan,

When the FEO came out for a visit she said to put it in cupboard,but when i explained to her that the cupboard contained

the mains electricity for the house (so it was unsuitable to drill wall).

She then said she would be happy if it was fitted in an corner,as this would deter a bar being used on the lock,atb NID.

ps.AT THE END OF THE DAY IT ALL DEPEND'S ON WHO YOU GET AS THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN IDEA'S,best of luck,here's a couple of pic's,fitted in external corner.

Lammington009Medium.jpg

Lammington008Medium.jpg

Also the key on my cabinet fits in horizontally, so turning the cabinet upside makes no difference to the key-hole.

I have just turned the stickers on the cabinet upside down, and moved the foam inside up to the right height.

I will mount it tonight, you will need to look very closely to see that it is infact upside down.

As people have allready said though, as long as it secured properly, the cabinet being upside down shouln't make any difference.

I have that exact safe (Brattonsound 6/7 with the Vault door) and in the paper work that came with it. It says YOU CAN NOT TURN THIS SAFE UP SIDE DOWN OR LAY IT FLAT.

Because of how the lock works in the door it has to be up right.

Sorry..................

Edited by toyo

Thanks for your reply

The gun safe is now fitted lol :icon_redface: upside down

I looked again at the paperwork and it says

The Sentinel Plus Gunsafe is designed to be used in the upright position only. Lying it on its back might prevent correct operation of the locking mechanism, and, as the door is very heavy, it could cause serious injury if the door fell shut and trapped your hand while removing a gun for example

Its been upside down for 3 days now, and the lock is working fine

Edit: Just re-read that quote from the instructions and realised that "designed to be used in the upright position only" just means it cannot be installed horizontally. When the cabinet is upside down that is also an upright (vertical) position. That must right, as it then goes on to talk about how you cannot lie it on its back...

B)

Edited by elvolcan

Fair point. I have had the back of the door off on mine and I can not remember seeing anything that would cause any problems for you.

So if its done now and it works. Dont see why it will not keep on working :-) .

Also I would recomend taking the back of the door off to give it a little oil. There is quite a bit of metal on metal if you get me so will do it good to put a bit of oil in there.

Mount it whichever orientation works for you, just comply with fitting instructions and no problem. One of mine has been upside down from day one, never think about it now..it is the right way up for me :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I wondered this same thing when i bought the 6 gun bretton sound cabinet. Mainly because, I noticed they charge an extra 45quid if you want the door to open the other way and i couldnt see what the difference would to just turning the cabinet upside down.

With regards to FEO`s... ive had my SGC for 15 years now and the FEO has not once wanted to even see my cabinet. For all he knows, i could just keep them under the bed. Guess it depends on the area!