Advice needed for Isuzu Bighorn

I have recently bought an M reg Bighorn 3.1 Diesel auto. It has done 153K miles and apparently the head is knackered. It start's first time but sounds really rough, and if you take the engine oil filler cap off whilst it's running it sounds like a lawn mower and air is pumping out of where you put the oil in ? There is no gunk on the bottom of the oil dipstick or on the filler cap, and the water is also clear. I had resided to buying a new ( Second hand ) engine but thought i would ask you guy's to see if anyone knew / had any ideas before i do. I did buy it very cheap so haven't been turned over as i knew it had engine trouble before i bought it. Thanks for all your help

Edited by blackstaff

Do a compression test on it, will become apparent on results.

Word of caution though, unless you can find a donor vehicle for bits the rest of it can be costly.

If I remember right, a rear trailing arm (dealer only part) runs at approx £260 :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

I have recently bought an M reg Bighorn 3.1 Diesel auto. It has done 153K miles and apparently the head is knackered. It start's first time but sounds really rough, and if you take the engine oil filler cap off whilst it's running it sounds like a lawn mower and air is pumping out of where you put the oil in ? There is no gunk on the bottom of the oil dipstick or on the filler cap, and the water is also clear. I had resided to buying a new ( Second hand ) engine but thought i would ask you guy's to see if anyone knew / had any ideas before i do. I did buy it very cheap so haven't been turned over as i knew it had engine trouble before i bought it. Thanks for all your help

Not helpful but only buy Land Rover..........support the UK

dont want to depress you even more but my mate bought one 'R' reg he had nothing but trouble with it the head went and the injectors ,it cost alot of money to put right and he got shot of it,best of luck to you.

They're not all bad...

You just gotta look after them and not rag the tits off them all day long... the 3.1 is a big ol' plodding motor, not meant for anything remotely resembling high speed (and by that I mean over 90 . . . lol)...

Mine rarely goes over 70.

• 3 weeks later...