Ibizan hounds

Nice site for those that like ibizan hounds...there is more to Ibiza than techno and beaches...

The language used is the archaic italo-spanish they speak there...just clic on Fotos...

the Mallorca 2005 section contains real nice pics on how they use their hounds...

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/po...a/pages/cat.htm

cheers,

L

can you belive i spent 5 summers out there working for 6 months, and evan took my old bitch with me the last tim i worked there. and i never met or saw anyone hunting.

alot of the local street mongrals had ibizan blood in them, great site leanard

i love ibiza,ive travelled to other canaria and balearic islands,turkey and hawaii and nothing comes close to ibiza.

people think its all about nightclubs but once out of the big towns its spot on.i go every year and had tried to get a contact to go hunting over there last year but couldnt find anything.

last time out there i got a spanish hunting magazine which had a dvd of rabbiting in lanzarote with dogs.its some sight to see running dogs flying across volcanic rock without a field of grass or hedgerows in sight.

they may open up but there feet must be amazing.

They have a different style of hunting right?

Using the dogs to mark, and flush rabits to guns

mainly, or so my friend tells me. They are barkers

and open up when they sight a rabbit, allowing

the guns to be pointed in the right direction.

They can, and do catch some on the run, but mainly

they just flush them out.

the dvd had them catching a few but like you say its based around shooting.still,they run flat out over the hard terrain.........although they must be tough, alot of them must end up crippled.

and theres no-way would most of us stick a ferret into those places.they use muzzles aswell........ive only seen about 6 dvds of hunting in spannish islands and all the hunters seemed to use the same methods.they used small barrel shaped ferret carriers and muzzles.

none used locators,but in any case youd need dynamite to dig in lanzarote. :icon_eek:

ibiza holiday prices seem to be going up as the island moves away from the huge binge drinking,pub crawling tradition.the hotel we stay at was a 1/3 down last year.so maybe ill try bulgaria this year.ive heard you can hunt wolves out there :good::D

• 1 year later...