terrier advise

Guest No 1 rabbit hunter

a would personally recomend border terriers they have a great temprement and they will run through cover all day long. crossing them to a lakeland tends to fire the strain up a bit.But the problem with borders is that they tend to cost a little more around the 200 mark as for border lakelands u can pick them up a lot cheaper.

Good luck in finding a dog any way :good:

The Plummers i have seen where probably the best bushing terriers i have seen work,...they flushed rabbits, fox and Roe...GREAT ratters...thats all the owner kept them for and he was very proud of them for there given task...as he should of been...only seen a few dug to...one was a great fox dog...the other where not alot of good to be honest...but for stuff on top, imo, they are hard to beat.

Kye,..

I agree with Millet, borders i've had and got now are fine for beating/bushing.They seem a bit steadier than the black stuff and are easier to "read" as they dont get that excited until they find something worth getting excited about.

Good coats on em aswell :yes:

Never had one myself but bedlingtons are supposed to be the dogs cahoona's.

Each to their own at the end of the day and whatever suits the eye i suppose.

Guest moomin300uk
Stay clear of the modern day plummer's.. :yes: .. go for the older stuff if you can fing it. :good: .

Failing that you wont go wrong with any terrier really X breed's or pure they all will make decent bushing dog's if given plenty of excersise where they is plenty of game.

A pure border get's my vote and is a good choice they will go through any kind of cover like a tank..

I personally wont have one though.. through one reason and one reason only and that is the short muzzel when it come's to a bit of fox work..it rare but they can take dangerous bite's close to the eye's and in them sometimes..

Millet

millet why do you bang on about the "old stuff" whats the difference what lines are old and what are new??this is not ment to be a checky question i would just like to know... :whistle: :whistle:

Guest rattingaddict

Stay clear of the modern day plummer's.. :yes: .. go for the older stuff if you can fing it. :good: .

Failing that you wont go wrong with any terrier really X breed's or pure they all will make decent bushing dog's if given plenty of excersise where they is plenty of game.

A pure border get's my vote and is a good choice they will go through any kind of cover like a tank..

I personally wont have one though.. through one reason and one reason only and that is the short muzzel when it come's to a bit of fox work..it rare but they can take dangerous bite's close to the eye's and in them sometimes..

Millet

millet why do you bang on about the "old stuff" whats the difference what lines are old and what are new??this is not ment to be a checky question i would just like to know... :whistle: :whistle:

most of the new bull blooded stuff is from non worker, to non worker.

they have to put older lines back in to get the dogs working

Guest No 1 rabbit hunter

Millet

thanks for the advise lads really apreashiate it

Guest MOLLY
thanks lads i was fancying a jack russel or a border/lakeland..just got a 7 month old grehound/pit bitch loverly friendly little dog .would apreashiate any comments on the first cross grey/pit

When you do get a terrier make sure you train the grey/bull NOT to go into the bush, i dont know if its cos they have a high % of terrier in or because mine was brought up with terriers so works as the terriers, and i didnt have the knowledge at the time regarding how they need to be on the outskirts waiting for the bunnies to shoot out :blink: And its bloody hard work trying to catch them yourself when all the dogs are in the bushes :laugh:

tracker Yesterday, 05:01 PM Post #16

crossing them to a lakeland tends to fire the strain up a bit.But the problem with borders is that they tend to cost a little more around the 200 mark as for border lakelands u can pick them up a lot cheaper.

Good luck in finding a dog any way

:good: Ive got a BorderxLakie and a BorderxPat...as you say, they seem to keep the best of both breeds, the bidability of the border with a bit more fire from the other.

MOLL.

A good strain of jack russel would do the job, my own jack russel bushed well but he bushed along with spaniels at a young age. Plummers are also an option, bedllinton terriers are good dog for rabbitin and bushing ect there good bushers my friend owns 1 thats a demon in the bush and they have the exra bit of speed. Though bedllingtons are pricy