alaunt pups 2 dogs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

horses for courses. he's oviously got these dogs for a reason and to suit your style of hunting so good luck with them mate. Think they look in good condition. you dont buy a saluki for drawing foxes and you dont buy a bull dog for match coursing, simple as. hope they turn out as you plan mate, ;) .
thay should work nobother thay seem keen enough
  • 1 month later...
look handy dogs i like the bully breeds, one silly question from a girl why they called alaunt?

Alaunts were a medieval hunting dog, they were used for running down bear, wolves and boar mainly. They have been extinct for centuries as a breed, they had a bad reputation for killing livestock and even people! The quarry available in the uk seems limited for the recreation of this breed. In the US they might have a practical application as boar and bear dogs, although there are existing breeds that do that job well like Argentinian Dogos.

Some people just have to have the biggest scariest dog out there wether there is a need for them or not. Personally I wouldnt want the liability and feed bills for such dogs. But each to their own.

All the best Dirtwinger

look handy dogs i like the bully breeds, one silly question from a girl why they called alaunt?

Alaunts were a medieval hunting dog, they were used for running down bear, wolves and boar mainly. They have been extinct for centuries as a breed, they had a bad reputation for killing livestock and even people! The quarry available in the uk seems limited for the recreation of this breed. In the US they might have a practical application as boar and bear dogs, although there are existing breeds that do that job well like Argentinian Dogos.

Some people just have to have the biggest scariest dog out there wether there is a need for them or not. Personally I wouldnt want the liability and feed bills for such dogs. But each to their own.

All the best Dirtwinger

most alaunts have only 3 breeds in their make up bullmastiff, bull terrier and greyhound the dogo has over a dozen breeds mixed into them the same with the pressa what breed in the alaunt is the liability then, why shouldnt we have a fit healthy running mastiff that doesnt cost a fortune in vet fees to keep healthy, as to the name alaunt its a type not a breed and these fit the bill

Well I have had personal experience of dogs that have been bred to the point that they become a liability. I used to hunt coyotes with a guy here in New Mexico. He had been hunting coyotes for almost 40 yrs, he bred the hardest dogs to the hardest dogs generation after generation.

The result was a line of dogs with no saftey catches in thier temperment. I f another dog bumped them they would kill them, no warning, no growls just calm to kill in a second. I had a great deerhound/grey bred in Ireland that I brought over when I moved to the US. He had done it all rabbit, hare, fox and coyote. He hunted regularly with Ernies dogs no isssues no problems. I left him with Ernie while I was working out of state. A 10month old bitch of Ernies killed him because my dog told her off! Since then Ernies dog have killed two dogs brought into his kennels and badly injured two other dogs in the field.

If his dogs got out I know they would kill livestock up to horses in size and have the potential to kill a human that crossed them. That what I mean by a liability.

As to Alaunts being a type rather than a breed, that may be the case today. But centuries ago they were a breed. Manda asked why theses dog are called Alaunts, I explained where the name came from I was not implying that your dogs were a recognized breed.

You however by identifying your type of dog as an Alaunt are making your own implications. Namely that your dogs have all the attributes of this extinct breed. Which was known for its extreme agression and unpredictable targeting of prey. Now a medieval lord didn't get much trouble if one of his Alaunts killed a peasants child. Rather different story in the modern UK dont you think? Hence me using the word liability.

Dirtwinger

Edited by dirtwinger