tikka t3 barrel cutting

This is my 2P's worth............. Cutting the barrel on your T3 would devalue the rifle by a huge amount. If you were to trade the gun buyers would think "why's the barrel been cut". :thumbdown:

One option would be trade the gun in for a short barrel Tikka (20") thay are all factory threaded.

With prices the way thay are you'll get top trade in for your gun. I personaly would not buy any gun that the barrel has been choped.

There is alot of talk about the standard of some barrel threading , if its been done at the factory you know it's correct plus you get the thread protector.

I use a T3 24"varmint223 (non threaded) and a Sako 20"varminter 308 (threaded). Both superb :clapper:

I don't quite understand this one, Sound Moderators are sweeping the country and demand is strong...many rifle barrels need shortening or the balance screws up, hence why Tikka, etc are now all arriving in the country with SHORTER Threaded barrels, far from devaluing the gun I would suggest it will enhance the price!

IMHO.

Thread protectors are easy to come by, many dealers will simply give you one...BUT, so what anyway if you have a moderator fitted!! :thumbs:

To answer this....

I have know doubt that " Sound Moderators are sweeping the country " but I would not buy a standard rifle that has had the barrel chopped.

The question I would ask is "why"?

Has the crown been damaged?

Has a moderator been left on the gun and corroded the barrel?

Is the rifling ok.

Has the gun been looked after?

Getting the gun threaded for a mod "yes". but sorry cutting the barrel on a standard gun no!

But hey "It's only my opinion"? :big_boss:

This is my 2P's worth............. Cutting the barrel on your T3 would devalue the rifle by a huge amount. If you were to trade the gun buyers would think "why's the barrel been cut". :thumbdown:

One option would be trade the gun in for a short barrel Tikka (20") thay are all factory threaded.

With prices the way thay are you'll get top trade in for your gun. I personaly would not buy any gun that the barrel has been choped.

There is alot of talk about the standard of some barrel threading , if its been done at the factory you know it's correct plus you get the thread protector.

I use a T3 24"varmint223 (non threaded) and a Sako 20"varminter 308 (threaded). Both superb :clapper:

I don't quite understand this one, Sound Moderators are sweeping the country and demand is strong...many rifle barrels need shortening or the balance screws up, hence why Tikka, etc are now all arriving in the country with SHORTER Threaded barrels, far from devaluing the gun I would suggest it will enhance the price!

IMHO.

Thread protectors are easy to come by, many dealers will simply give you one...BUT, so what anyway if you have a moderator fitted!! :thumbs:

To answer this....

I have know doubt that " Sound Moderators are sweeping the country " but I would not buy a standard rifle that has had the barrel chopped.

The question I would ask is "why"?

1 Has the crown been damaged?

2 Has a moderator been left on the gun and corroded the barrel?

3 Is the rifling ok.

4 Has the gun been looked after?

Getting the gun threaded for a mod "yes". but sorry cutting the barrel on a standard gun no!

But hey "It's only my opinion"? :big_boss:

We all come to this with an opinion and view, from my point of view and experience with full length barrels and mods then few work...the barrel needs shortening or most are far too front heavy and too long! :thumbs:

To respond to your questions...

1 Its been re-crowned now, so is fine whatever

2 If it has, so what, it's been cut off

3 Pretty easy to see by eye but borescope if in doubt

4 EASY to tell!!!

So, I don't see any problem, but we all have choices, opinions and preferences :thumbs:

m considering cutting the lengh of my barrel down on my tikka t3 .243 (by a gunsmith not me) my question is how much could you safley remove before effecting accuracy I understand my rifle has a barrel lenght of 22 " 7/16 with a 1 in ten twist rate.

The reason is so I may in the future purchase an ase sound mod and these mod's although very good extend the barrel a little too much for my own likeing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi mate you got it done by richard ;)