has it ever been done ?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well thats that laid to rest finally.

oh look on tv its the 6 nations rugby training they are all tackling red stags and biting there ears then sticking there antlers in the ground an flicking there balls

ill give you that 1 :clapper::clapper::clapper:

:clapper::clapper::notworthy:

p.s good on you bigfoot dont hold grudges

at the end of the day people never believe things till theyve seen it an spiderpig on one thing your right you cant be to carefull and if youve done what those two dogs did then fairplay an good luck :thumbs:
I worked as a ghillie just north of Fort William for a while,the estate was nine mile up a glen and then carried on for a further five so you had complete privacy. I owned two lurchers at the time and both had taken more than their fair share of deer mostly roe and quite a few fallow and sika so it was inevitable that I would have a crack at the reds.

Well they done quite a few hinds doubled up and then singly before I decided to try them on a stag, unbelievable as it sounds one of the reasons I held back was that I thought a few hinds and calves wouldn't be missed but if I killed one of the better feeding stags it would be, boy was I niave.

Got my first chance one evening above the lodge, urged the dogs on (not that they needed much urging) and of they went with me running after them, well the stags legs seemed hardly to be moving whilst the dogs were going like the clappers and it took them a fair distance to catch up to it and grab a hold, they didn't even slow it down, it just kept going eventually dissapearing into the distance with the dogs hard on its heels.

Next one I had a crack at jumped a new sheep fence and fouled the old one that had been left in place, the dogs right behind it were on it instantly as it went down, not for long though, up it got and shook them off and off we went, never at any point was that stag in any danger of being taken and that one in particular ended up standing in the middle of the river with the dogs trying to tread water and get a hold at the same time.

I tried another few after that without any success, to be fair to myself and the dogs it was always the feeding stags around the lodge which are the biggest, best specimans but I think thats what we're talking here, a fully grown mature stag and one dog able to take it, well my two couldn't and it wasn't because of lack of heart or determination, they just weren't capable.

That year the average weight of stags coming into the parlour (gralloched) was just over 200lbs and then the guts on top of that

might take it to 250lbs, I'm not saying one dog couldn't take one, I do think its highly unlikely though.

sounds like you had some fair crack mackay did the dogs ever get seriously injured i suspect not because although they were game [and i believe that ]the horror stories and super natural abbillities are on the hole [with a few exceptions]in the mind of those who have not run them its sheer size ,athletecizm[?]and power that make them difficult :thumbs: Edited by bigfoot

Im with spiderpig on this one. Ive hunted nearly every type of deer in the country over the past 15 to 20 years with lurchers (pre ban) and all have been stopped single handed. Except the RED STAG. Show me a SINGLE HANDED RED STAG stopper and ill show you a liar. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

well thats that laid to rest finally.

oh look on tv its the 6 nations rugby training they are all tackling red stags and biting there ears then sticking there antlers in the ground an flicking there balls

have you ever had a stag /buck stand for you ( turn and face dogs) ,quite common with park deer ( so ive heard about parks as i wouldnt know)
it sure has been luke thanks to all who replied really appreciated it :victory: maybe when the ban is lifted we could go and see if we could drop one lol oh wel its been a gopod thread thanks again all

just noticed you made a snidy wee remark in another topic about labs pulling down stags, the guys i know who iv been going out with since i was knee high will have shot more deer than you have pubes and they wouldnt walk about with a pet lab the labs are for tracking or pulling down a wounded animal, i dont need to make up storys do you think i just sat here and thought to myself ill say i know labs that do it? yer nothin but a pillock, some of these labs werent the biggest labs iv seen but strong animals as they were out doing this everday some commission stalker owned and some not, iv shot a fair amount of stags and hinds and seen a lot being shot and iv seen these dogs track or pull down a wounded animal, maybe you should think before you throw digs at people, just wondering what experiences you have with red deer? its a pitty theres pricks in the world, but its just somethin that we cant let bother us. just for the records i aint talking about an army of labs i know just 4 or 5 owned by the same crowd.

listen were talking about a 29 inch bull x (master) who couldnt stop one single handed and you reckon a labrador could do it ? look at all the people saying they didnt belive you but you get all shitty with me ? i didnt start this thread to argue with you or anyone else on here i started it becouse i wanted to know wehter it had been done or not then i find you posting shit about labradors pulling reds !!! come on then if YOU supposedly saw it before that would you have bileived it ? you post shit on mine and it comes back around :victory:

Edited by ferret boy charlie

i don't know spiderpig and i'm not from his part of the world. i do have a dog from his part of the world from a friend of his and have spent some time with the guy who bred it and spoken to him so i understand what he is trying to explain.

there are more lowland red deer than people realise in parts of the country were they are not expected to be. they are not park deer, they have not been park deer in they are truly wild, all deer species are increasing even the government are acknoweledging this so ranges are spreading.

lowland reds are huge, i am talking of animals living in deciduous woodland surronded by arable land growing crops, sugarbeet and vegetables. some of the highland guys can correct me but an average stag up there would be 13-14 stone maybe?

i have shot spikers over 17 stone gralloched. i have seen and prepared heads of 16, 18 and 20 points. trust me the size of and power of these animals is immense. i have sat in the rut with a stalker and watched a stag with at least 24 points, we thought it may even of had more possibly 26, the guy was shaking like a leaf and the shot didn't present itself the sound and smell of a stag of this size roaring at 80 yards was honestly frightening!

what i am describing is MY experience and i think spiderpig has experience of similar deer (although not the same area). these stags were gralloched and weighed were all in excess of 24 stone. one was too big to try and weigh and we think that went over 30 stone

the point is these are not the deer many people who know reds are used to. if you have never seen a red but think you own a dog that could do one then it is difficult to comprehend the size ad power of these beasts.

in my opinion based on my own experience no dog would single handed take the red stags i have dealt with, they would not even flip them long enough for them to be dispatched, i will even stick my neck out and say two dogs couldn't do it. a team of good experienced deer dogs may take one but it would be take extremely good, game dogs and even gamer owners.

i am not saying it hasn't or couldn't be done but there are stags and there are stags.

An intelligent answer Greenman and one that contains truth and sensible thought. What people have forgot to state is ,can it be done in England, Scotland, wales or Ireland. I Know the reds in the Highlands are smaller, but they are still formidable foes. I also think that thier larger cousins in the south of England would be almost impossible to take singlehanded. The question was has it been done, not were can it be done. I would also like to add that when i have been in close proximety to stags on the open moor. They havent been tiddlers as Mr Spiderpig makes out, these were big beasts that took 3 men to carry back across the moor to the vehicle that was parked roadside. I read Bigfoots posts with interest and got the impression people doubted his words. Everything he said did happen as i was in his company on the said days. cheers wex