hi all, am thinking about having a litter of pups out of my lurcher in the summer and just have some probably stupid questions about it.

i have a collie greyhound 1st cross bitch 25'' tts she is 3 yr old and is good on all quarry except hares, just lacks enough speed to pick them up on the turn and has to run them into the ground if they dont get through a fence or hedge.

the pups i want to breed are not for the money i want to start a line and improve them if poss ie wont a bit more pace but hopefully not lose to much brain.

i have the option of using 2 different stud dogs.

1 is a 22'' tts bedlington whippet x collie grey whippet grey, a very fast little dog good on rabbits and hares but doesnt take anything bigger or with teeth.

the other is 25''tts collie grey x unknown maybe some slauki never been worked except maybe a couple of nights lamping with me but didnt catch very close to it though. he is faster than my bitch though and has won a couple of simulated coursing comps at the local shows.

my questions are if i use the smaller dog will i lose to much size? will the pups take more after the stud or my bitch? and does the lack of working from the second stud dog rule him out?

thanks in advance for any advice given hopefully a few replies will help me make my mind up! cheers pp

If i were you mate I would buy a Pup

from proven parents..

And not bred from your bitch (just yet anyway)...

I know you want to start your own line mate but the base line MUST be very proven for you to get the result YOU want..

Personally i know they are better and more proven line's out there that i can bred myself and thats why i dont (and that's just me being honest)..

Atb in what every you do mate T 7

If i were you mate I would buy a Pup

from proven parents..

And not bred from your bitch (just yet anyway)...

I know you want to start your own line mate but the base line MUST be very proven for you to get the result YOU want..

Personally i know they are better and more proven line's out there that i can bred myself and thats why i dont (and that's just me being honest)..

Atb in what every you do mate T 7

cheers its not just me wanting a pup from her though me dad, me brother in law and the 2 lads with the stud dogs are keen on haveing 1 from her. doesnt her age effect her carrying pups ie older dog more likely to have problems? thanks again pp

I dont like to mix whippet and greyhound blood as I think pups further down the generations will throw to either side and you dont get a consistant size.

I tried really hard to breed true from a good stud of mixed blood and it took a while to get consistant size offspring.

Why would you want to mix up the breed, just use a decent greyhound to add a kick of speed for now. You wont lose much of the brain. Or maybe a saluki if it was a point and squirt dog you are looking for.

At least the litter would be fairly consistant and pure.

I wouldn't use either dog tbh fella. Definately not the non working one. I would put a decent greyhound over her or a good working 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. Both crosses would produce the dog you require. Good luck whatever you decide. ;)

i know a lad with a 3/4 cross but i'm not to sure how much he works it, bit of a bullshitter and me dad knows a guy who trains greyhounds but i dont think they'd be to keen to let me line my bitch, this is why i was swayed to these other dogs the small 1 especially as i've seen him and his brother work. cheers pp

I wouldn't use either dog tbh fella. Definately not the non working one. I would put a decent greyhound over her or a good working 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. Both crosses would produce the dog you require. Good luck whatever you decide. ;)

I think you've got it spot on, stick too much in the mix and it will take for ever to get a line breeding consistent.

i know a lad with a 3/4 cross but i'm not to sure how much he works it, bit of a bullshitter and me dad knows a guy who trains greyhounds but i dont think they'd be to keen to let me line my bitch, this is why i was swayed to these other dogs the small 1 especially as i've seen him and his brother work. cheers pp

Put a wanted ad up on here, theres got to be plenty of 3/4 bred collie x's on here. You've also got to be willing to travel to a good stud. The little dog you have in mind sounds good but put across your bitch the pups will come out all shapes and sizes, you won't produce a good type, not a good breeding to start a line with in my opinion.

Mine is quarter collie, quarter greyhound (Mum from Plummer line) and half whippet (Dad).

He works and works. Catches anything you want for the pot (brings you a rabbit with just the neck broken), herds sheep (more a grip-dog but good), keeps horses off the fences and will herd them too, catches hares, rabbits, digs, works with terriers, jumps about 4 foot no bother, runs as fast as my horse can gallop and could go faster. Easy to train, does what you think and never runs away. Gentle at home with a superb temperament. Loves swimming too!

10weeks.jpg

10759.jpg

J2048x1536-05923.jpg

J1600x1200-02789.jpg

J2048x1536-21113.jpg

14050.jpg

Edited by Pignut

I dont think its a good idea to mix up grey and whippet blood. Even mors so if you want to breed to line. The future generations will be all over the place..

Straightforward greyhound is all you need. Not one of those big ugly horrible ones. 26 tts, nice and compact. ;)

Like most things in life, lots of different opinions!

I suppose at the end of the day it depends why you are breeding and what you want the dogs for. Do you have homes lined up for each and every one? Will you take responsibility for the ones that don't sell? What will you do with the ones that have your line stamp on them but are not up to standard? What would you do if your bitch died?

There is a lot more to breeding than just a few questions considering there are tons of perfectly good dogs out there sitting unwanted, or being given out to free, if you know the right folk.

Just something to think about.