.25 cal?

Guest hyperion

I have a mate on another forum who shoots a .25 Rapid at 50ft/lb and it shoots as flat as a .177 in 12ft/lb and probably flatter :blink:

This caliber is definately better in FAC but as others have pointed out in the humble 12ft/lb it's just a rat & ferral gun no good for long range shooting...

Hyperion if you have FAC then get a Rapid and push it to 40-50ft/lb and you will never look back ;)

I take your point with the Rapid and 50ft lb, but decent pellets are not cheap and even the rapid runs out of air quick with these powers. If you are going this high I would have to suggest .22LR with caps/shorts/longs/shotshells/even LR Subs. I don't see a 50ft lb .25 Rapid as a rat gun, so it wonders into other areas which personally I believe the .22LR can handle just as well and probably better, and also cheaper. :thumbs:

As someone who has a Rapid Mk2, in .25, running between 40-60ft/lbs I agree that you're into rimfire territory but this isn't about rimfire Vs airgun. This, to me, was always about seeing the limitations of the technology.

As a shooter I see specific guns as tools to do specific jobs. Spending a fortune on an air rifle, when a cheap rimfire is adequate, is down to personal preference. I wanted to shoot something different and dare I say I actually like the quirks of this particular rifle. Same way I liked the quirks of the Ripley Predator.

I've noticed that everyone is quick to write off the .25 as nothing more than a short range rat gun, but combined with decent fieldcraft it can be very capable in the field. Personally I think that everyone should shoot a .25... at least for a little while. It'll certainly cure all the 60yds + boys of their chancer shots. If you're willing to take the time to adjust to the rifle it will improve your game, overall.

Just for the record I've had the pleasure of being able to shoot many different calibres of full bore rifles and I'm certainly not going to say that my Theoben isn't anything more than an overindulgence from an eccentric shooter. It works for me and I'm sorry but that's all that matters. ;)

Yours In Sport...

As someone who has a Rapid Mk2, in .25, running between 40-60ft/lbs I agree that you're into rimfire territory but this isn't about rimfire Vs airgun. This, to me, was always about seeing the limitations of the technology.

As a shooter I see specific guns as tools to do specific jobs. Spending a fortune on an air rifle, when a cheap rimfire is adequate, is down to personal preference. I wanted to shoot something different and dare I say I actually like the quirks of this particular rifle. Same way I liked the quirks of the Ripley Predator.

I've noticed that everyone is quick to write off the .25 as nothing more than a short range rat gun, but combined with decent fieldcraft it can be very capable in the field. Personally I think that everyone should shoot a .25... at least for a little while. It'll certainly cure all the 60yds + boys of their chancer shots. If you're willing to take the time to adjust to the rifle it will improve your game, overall.

Just for the record I've had the pleasure of being able to shoot many different calibres of full bore rifles and I'm certainly not going to say that my Theoben isn't anything more than an overindulgence from an eccentric shooter. It works for me and I'm sorry but that's all that matters. ;)

Yours In Sport...

Each to their own Chris and I simply look at tools as the best for the job, little or no self indulgence for me, JUST TOOLS, I shoot everything from 12ft lb to .308 (and shotgun), my guns are tools and I select the best one that I can for any individual job! Not for one minute looking at air rifle v rimfire, simply tools for the job! A 50-60ft lb .25 Rapid must be great fun but simply does not add up as a sensible tool FOR ME! :thumbs::thumbs: But never fired a .25 over 12ft lb,, so if anyone wants to invite me to come out to play with a powerful one I'd love to have a try!! :thumbs:

Just for the record I've had the pleasure of being able to shoot many different calibres of full bore rifles and I'm certainly not going to say that my Theoben is anything more than an overindulgence from an eccentric shooter. It works for me and I'm sorry but that's all that matters. ;)

Yours In Sport...

As long as your happy thats all that matters. For me i have my air rifle and i have my rimfire and between them they cover all my needs and i can't seen any need for fac air rifles. We all have to do what works for us if we didn't we'd all drive the same car and dress the same and listen to the same music and it would be a very dull world.