moderator for marlin .17hmr

I've tried 3 mods on mine including the SAK, (£30 around here), Couldn't tell the difference in any of them. Got the SAK.

As an aside I was talking to a well respected old guy recently on the subject of moderators. He told me "whatever you do, never use a mod on a centre fire gun after it's been used on a rimfire".

Evidently unburnt powder can be deposited in the mod with the rimfire which will be ignited if used on centrefire :sick: Anyone else know this to be true???

I've tried 3 mods on mine including the SAK, (£30 around here), Couldn't tell the difference in any of them. Got the SAK.

As an aside I was talking to a well respected old guy recently on the subject of moderators. He told me "whatever you do, never use a mod on a centre fire gun after it's been used on a rimfire".

Evidently unburnt powder can be deposited in the mod with the rimfire which will be ignited if used on centrefire :sick: Anyone else know this to be true???

ive also heard something along these lines, as i was going to be using my T8 on my 17hmr but was warned of the dangers...

i use sak on my 17, and im pleased with the results..

ive also heard something along these lines, as i was going to be using my T8 on my 17hmr but was warned of the dangers...

This is true chaps.....rimfire ammo is very dirty, primarily because it is a relatively inneficient burn, thats why you often get great lumps in the moderator and they can be clearly seen inside the barrel.

Centrefire ammo is more efficient and burns hotter and faster. If a moderator has been used a LOT on a rimfire and powder sediment has built up, it is certainly possible that the centrefire propellant may ignite this sediment which could lead to a serious incident!

Simple logic, I would suggest you do not test the theory! :thumbs:

This is true chaps.....rimfire ammo is very dirty, primarily because it is a relatively inefficient burn, that's why you often get great lumps in the moderator and they can be clearly seen inside the barrel.

Centerfire ammo is more efficient and burns hotter and faster. If a moderator has been used a LOT on a rim fire and powder sediment has built up, it is certainly possible that the centrefire propellant may ignite this sediment which could lead to a serious incident!

yep, don't fancy burnt eyebrows !

did you ever find a moddy that your happy with on your 17 in the end ?

This is true chaps.....rimfire ammo is very dirty, primarily because it is a relatively inefficient burn, that's why you often get great lumps in the moderator and they can be clearly seen inside the barrel.

Centerfire ammo is more efficient and burns hotter and faster. If a moderator has been used a LOT on a rim fire and powder sediment has built up, it is certainly possible that the centrefire propellant may ignite this sediment which could lead to a serious incident!

Nope..Sirroco SM11 currently on there (not great), and I've had the Hog, SAK, Sako, DM80 on the end of it, and a pal has the Whisper on his (neither of us are impressed with that). DM80 probably edges it, but seeing as the others are all £30-£45 and the DM80 £80+ it should be better...although that does not hold true for the Whisper at £125.

I suspect the option will be a centrefire mod, but that potentially brings daft price and weight issues!!

Nope..Sirroco SM11 currently on there (not great), and I've had the Hog, SAK, Sako, DM80 on the end of it, and a pal has the Whisper on his (neither of us are impressed with that). DM80 probably edges it, but seeing as the others are all £30-£45 and the DM80 £80+ it should be better...although that does not hold true for the Whisper at £125.

I suspect the option will be a centrefire mod, but that potentially brings daft price and weight issues!!

:hmm:

i recently got myself an Ase utra, even that was louder than the SAK...

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_det...?productID=1647

im thinking of calling AWT to see if they can put one together for me, i know its not the same, but for the last couple of years ive been usig one of their moddy`s on my mk1 rapid & ive got to say, its the quietest moddy ive used..

might be worth a try...

thanks for the replies, i will try the SAK. The rifle i have was not screw cut in the factory so i will also have to send the rifle away to be screw cut and after waiting 6months for the FAC i will probably shoot it for a couple of months before sending it away. Has anyone sent a rifle off from n. ireland to have the barrel screw cut and roughly how long did the process take and cost.

keith