shud i cut my barrel down

redda09

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If balance is a problem have a sleeve put over the barrel! :thumbs: I had one on a custom 80 with a short barrel. I sold it many years ago before I had my Venom, I think the previous owner must have had the same problem, :hmm: will it or wont it disturb balance? The other thing to think about is short barrel ie lack of leverage on cocking. :hmm:

Personally I'd search for a bigger gun bag as it's a much easier fix than having a gunsmith carbine-ise your 80.

I had an 80, when I was much younger, and had no problems finding a bag to fit. Yes they're long but that length helps stabilise the pellet and improves your accuracy. Some have already said that chopping the barrel will make your gun pellet fussy, which can be true depending on who does the work to your rifle.

Here's a bit in elementary ballistics.

Your rifle barrel has a twist in it. If you break the action open and look down the barrel (breech to muzzle) you'll see a spiral effect. This is to stabilise the pellet in flight... when you pull the trigger the pellet is effectively spun, inside the barrel, until it leaves the muzzle. This is designed to make it more stable, in flight, so that you can hit your target more accurately.

Now the important bit. The spiral (twist rate) is designed to work with a certain pellet weight and size. This is where 'pellet fussyness' comes in. Air rifles are limited to 12 ft/lbs in the UK, but they're not restricted everywhere in world. This means that the same gun, and barrel combination, will be used at different power levels depending on where you live and the laws of your country of residence.

Chopping the barrel, of any rifle, can effect this but it depends on who does the cutting. The HW80 is available in 2 lengths. The standard has a barrel length of 50cm, the carbine has a length of 41cm. The UK version has no discernible difference, in performance, that relates to hunting. I've tried both and at 12ft/lbs there is nothing to separate them, with regard to accuracy. However the carbine (K) version is easier for target acquisition and better for shooting around heavy cover. At 16ft/lbs (on FAC) the standard version appeared more accurate at 50 yards. Tighter groupings over the carbine. RWS Superdomes were used along with H&N Field Target Trophy. Both in .22. Longer barrels improve long range accuracy.

If you're happy with your rifle, keep it and find a bigger gun bag.

If you're not happy with your rifle, sell it and try another.

If you make any modifications to the rifle yourself, and they don't work, you will be left with a pile of scrap that you can neither use nor sell.

Weihrauch have been making quality rifles for decades. They're very good at what they do, and for the tolerances of the English market they are the best at what they're left with. Leave the gun smithing to them. ;)

my bag is already an oversized one its jus the overall lenght ov the gun its just too long

I admit I have not read everyting here, so if it has already been said, then sorry...

Your gun is NOT too long ..your slip is toooooo short!!..or just take the mod off!!!

:thumbs:

my bag is already an oversized one its jus the overall lenght ov the gun its just too long

I admit I have not read everyting here, so if it has already been said, then sorry...

Your gun is NOT too long ..your slip is toooooo short!!..or just take the mod off!!!

I had exactly the same problem with my HW80 altogether the length of rifle and silencer made it about 53 inches long which is daft if your only 5ft 7 like me, i had the barrel cut and threaded & re-crowned and then with the wiehrauch silencer fitted it was the same length as the original rifle there was No loss of power No loss of accuracy and it Wasn't any louder and with the silencer it was whisper quiet Do it but take it to a good gunshop to get it done properly.

I admit I have not read everything here, so if it has already been said, then sorry...

I had exactly the same problem with my HW80 altogether the length of rifle and silencer made it about 53 inches long which is daft if your only 5ft 7 like me, i had the barrel cut and threaded & re-crowned and then with the wiehrauch silencer fitted it was the same length as the original rifle there was No loss of power No loss of accuracy and it Wasn't any louder and with the silencer it was whisper quiet Do it but take it to a good gunshop to get it done properly.

Each to their own, but cut and thread is not cheap, the barrel is that length for a reason and the consensus seems to be leave well alone. ATB! :thumbs: .

I admit I have not read everything here, so if it has already been said, then sorry...

Each to their own, but cut and thread is not cheap, the barrel is that length for a reason and the consensus seems to be leave well alone. ATB! :thumbs: .

It only cost £65 and i then had rifle i was 100% happy with, and that peace of mind is worth paying the price, if your dragging the barrel on the floor when your walking along it doesn't really matter if you have a bag that is long enough! :blink:

i was thinking about shortening my mk3 s200 aswell and turning a thread on it so i can get a weirauch silencer without an adapter. anyone got any ideas of hwo i would go about getting the barrel separated from the breach?

Hello mate.

Be aware that shortening a barrel on a PCP or CO2 rifle will lessen the velocity, :icon_eek:

all the best,

Rob.