"Its actually something that is really worth looking into as there are "i think" something like thirteen different kinds of protein that you dog can digest & fourteen for cats thats why you can give your cat dog food but not your dog cat food & all these different proteins get absorbed & used in different ways. ( lol i allways get this one confused & infact it maybe the other way around hahaha ) thats what i get for being a smart ass :)"(Ricard25)

It's a complicated area, and this is in humans so likely also in dogs, but in simple terms there are 21 amino acids ( proteins) seven are classed as essential so need to be eaten. These are available in meat, dairy products etc and some cerials. Cats do better on a higher protein diet than dogs.

"all the best in you quest for food there is a lot of bull shit about out there i think its just trial and error and finding the right choice for the type of animal that you keep GOOD LUCK " (Milo)

Yes.

Edited by sandymere

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

be careful on giving to much offal like hearts & kidneys etc as they are quite high in iron so probably no more than once or twice a week.

Its a minefield out there trying to suss out the right food for your dogs but if you have the time & put in some effort there are some real good barf diets & frozen mixes to choose from or mix yourself so i am sure your find something suitable

Goodluck.

hello,

im changing my pup from puppy to adult food this week... dry food, i will be feeding him one meal per day... dry food, with one sardine mixed in with it just for the added pretein and healthy fats...

Anyway.. I am considering getting him science plan adult complete its about 40 quid for a 15kg bag, but i am wondering wether its worth it, I am also considering Beta adult complete which is like 25 quid a bag what do you think?

hes a staff weighs 20 kg.

I feed Gain.... its 28% protein and 11% fats, which is plenty to give in one meal and thats to a working dog, they dont leave much mess behind so their cant be a lot of crap in it and they have plenty of condition. Its £11 for a 15kg sack.

I chose IAMS ADULT COMPLETE SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED COMPLETE FOOD. It was 30 quid for 15kgs and should last me over a month.. its chicken and rice flavour.. 26% protein.. so he is on that now with 1 sardine mixed into it.

Hes been on it a week and im very pleased with it.. the dog loves it and licks the bowl clean, he seems to have tons of energy and looks like hes getting leaner.... this is him just hes 9 months old, staffordshire bullterrier

09012009131.jpg

Edited by daniel23
Feed mine mainly raw but they have a complete as well. My dogs will very rarely eat veg and also preparing them every day would be a pain in the arse.

I buy big bags of frozen mixed veg from the likes of Tesco and Iceland about £1 for 1-2kg and just throw a handful of it into each dogs meat when i am in a rush or i don't have handy fresh veg (defrosted first, it does not take long to defrost) That way it is easy, clean and cheap. But you can always see the bits of sweetcorn ha ha!

I chose IAMS ADULT COMPLETE SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED COMPLETE FOOD. It was 30 quid for 15kgs and should last me over a month.. its chicken and rice flavour.. 26% protein.. so he is on that now with 1 sardine mixed into it.

Hes been on it a week and im very pleased with it.. the dog loves it and licks the bowl clean, he seems to have tons of energy and looks like hes getting leaner.... this is him just hes 9 months old, staffordshire bullterrier

09012009131.jpg

Hiya lad, decent looken dog there.. whats he guna be used for? tell you something mate, i was like you when i first started out worryin what to feed my dog, then a mate got me onto barf, i reseached the net and swapped the pups food over to raw the week after, he'd been on that dry & tinned shite for arround 4 months, changes where noticable in his energy almost straight away! then after a month or so he was looken better than hes ever looked, still on it now 2 years on only wish now was that i got him onto it earlier LOL.

Recently got a new pup there, i put him straight onto it, he was crunchen raw chicken bones at 14 wks old mate.. hes comin on leaps and bounds now..

Do your pup a favour an get him of that dry shite mate! at the end of the day its upto you, dogs are still exactly the same as wolfs inside mate, only ting thats changed is the looks.. dont think a wolf got given pedigree chummy thousands of years ago haha

Edited by Ratter

09012009131.jpg

Hiya lad, decent looken dog there.. whats he guna be used for? tell you something mate, i was like you when i first started out worryin what to feed my dog, then a mate got me onto barf, i reseached the net and swapped the pups food over to raw the week after, he'd been on that dry & tinned shite for arround 4 months, changes where noticable in his energy almost straight away! then after a month or so he was looken better than hes ever looked, still on it now 2 years on only wish now was that i got him onto it earlier LOL.

Recently got a new pup there, i put him straight onto it, he was crunchen raw chicken bones at 14 wks old mate.. hes comin on leaps and bounds now..

Do your pup a favour an get him of that dry shite mate! at the end of the day its upto you, dogs are still exactly the same as wolfs inside mate, only ting thats changed is the looks.. dont think a wolf got given pedigree chummy thousands of years ago haha

nice one for the reply ratter mate.. what type of dogs have you got mate, were are you from? I will probably get him on the barf mate.. weres the best place to get it from do you think?

I am looking on using my pup for bushing mainly mate, see what happens but he is full of drive and chases anything that moves... i am new to hunting to be quite honest with you mate, all of my pups ancestors were used against badger mate, over in ireland mainly.. not that i would dream of getting him into that tho! I would like to get him after some rabbits tho... whats the best time of year for bunnys mate... do they only come out at night? and were are you most likely to find them? dont see many around the streets of liverpool haha

Feed mine mainly raw but they have a complete as well. My dogs will very rarely eat veg and also preparing them every day would be a pain in the arse.

I buy big bags of frozen mixed veg from the likes of Tesco and Iceland about £1 for 1-2kg and just throw a handful of it into each dogs meat when i am in a rush or i don't have handy fresh veg (defrosted first, it does not take long to defrost) That way it is easy, clean and cheap. But you can always see the bits of sweetcorn ha ha!

Good idea mate might give it a go. Does it work out cheaper. My lurcher eats a pound and half of raw meat, tripe beef lamb etc. and will also eat 2 big scoops of meal if i had to replace the dry with meat and veg i could imagine it becoming quite expensive. Also have 2 bull terriers, i buy beetween £50 and £70 worth of meat which will last around 12 weeks, and a bag of omega tasty 12 quid.

09012009131.jpg

nice one for the reply ratter mate.. what type of dogs have you got mate, were are you from? I will probably get him on the barf mate.. weres the best place to get it from do you think?

I am looking on using my pup for bushing mainly mate, see what happens but he is full of drive and chases anything that moves... i am new to hunting to be quite honest with you mate, all of my pups ancestors were used against badger mate, over in ireland mainly.. not that i would dream of getting him into that tho! I would like to get him after some rabbits tho... whats the best time of year for bunnys mate... do they only come out at night? and were are you most likely to find them? dont see many around the streets of liverpool haha

Alrite

ive got a russel & russelxlakie, i get mine from the supermarkets.. an ask arround the butchers now n then for offcuts, veg is cheap of the veg stores, i just bang that in a few times a week with there chicken/beef/turkey whatever there havin.

id get him used to bein arround other dogs in a pack/socialize him.. he looks heavy build from that pic, but could just be the cam, if hes muscle bound hes guna struggle with rabbits on open ground, might struggle anyway lurchers are best for rabbits, they can turn on a penny rabbits.. youd have to see what hes like when hes older? and then go from there.

I used to see a load down in formby woods/beach when out with the dogssss..

atb with him mate