pro's and con's with lurchers

Guest jamesy

Guest jamesy

Hi all

just thought i would see what everyones view was on diffrent cross of lurchers.

the only running dog ive really worked was a whippet (great fun on short run rabbits).

am going to be getting another working dog but am in two minds ether to go for a whippet again, as its going to be kept indoors (where in handy size for indoors)

but i fancy a lurcher salu x grey X ?..

i am mainlly going to be working rabbits/ hare, on short ground but maybe many runs in one night ,but it would be nice if am out to run the dog on a mr red, if the chance is there

would be nice to get everyones view on what they think,

cheers

Guest buster
Hi all

just thought i would see what everyones view was on diffrent cross of lurchers.

the only running dog ive really worked was a whippet (great fun on short run rabbits).

am going to be getting another working dog but am in two minds ether to go for a whippet again, as its going to be kept indoors (where in handy size for indoors)

but i fancy a lurcher salu x grey X ?..

i am mainlly going to be working rabbits/ hare, on short ground but maybe many runs in one night ,but it would be nice if am out to run the dog on a mr red, if the chance is there

would be nice to get everyones view on what they think,

cheers

I have had alot of lurchers over the years the best one i have had up 2 now was a whippet greyhound, she very rarely missed, she broke her back leg when she was one year old the vet said who mended her leg said she would never run properly again but after a year out she was catchin hares 4 fun.everytime i took her out i couldnt stop slippin her she used 2 thrill me that much she used 2 take foxes singlehanded. The last time i took her out she banged her front leg, and she still caught the hare screamin in pain i had 2 retire her, she was 2 keen 4 her own gud she smashed herself 2 pieces 2 please me.I gave her 2 my mother in law it broke my heart, she still chases the odd rabbit with my father in law.

ps. she used 2 work the gun like a springer retreive like a lab.

I have gone onto bull crosses a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull he is comin on very well he isnt so fragile.

He is very clever, he works with my terriers well,he is a gud ferretin dog, gud lampin dog i havent tried him on fox yet but showin interest. he will make a gud allrounder when he is older, he is only a young dog,

a dog is what u make it. :good::good:

Guest jamesy

cheers for the info, yer when i worked the whippet she didnt like the rough bushes, and lost a few rabbits like that, as soon as she got near a bush or hedge she would back off, cant blame her really. am not in any rush for a dog just waiting for the right one, a lot of people are going for the bull x , at the moment....

guess it depends on the ground you are going to be hunting on mostly. Seems most of the running dogs talked about on here are game enough if you believe all that you read. My hounds are Staghounds or some people refer to them as American Coyote Hounds. They are bred from generations of Staghounds that can be traced back some 40 or 50 years. They are mostly greyhound with some deerhound added and a touch of bulldog. The greys/whippit/beddys seem to do a good job for most people in the UK. I know a gent that has a greyhound/Kerry blue cross that he speaks very highly of.

Guess it is a matter of personal preference. Like asking people what kind of terrier they like. You will get lots of different opinions on that one!

Good luck

longdog, can you post any pics of your american staghounds?

keen to see em, ive seen some real nice looking stags from over there, they are similar to our staghounds here(they are called more and more staghounds over here, but their type is also called kangaroo dogs)

Guest george26

Try a beddlington x greyhound thats [bANNED TEXT] ive got and she has done everytihing you have said your wanting one to do and a little bit more actualy but thats my opinion.

longdog, can you post any pics of your american staghounds?

keen to see em, ive seen some real nice looking stags from over there, they are similar to our staghounds here(they are called more and more staghounds over here, but their type is also called kangaroo dogs)

Have a few photos but not sure how to load them here. Will look into it and see about getting them on the board today.

cheers for the info, yer when i worked the whippet she didnt like the rough bushes, and lost a few rabbits like that, as soon as she got near a bush or hedge she would back off, cant blame her really. am not in any rush for a dog just waiting for the right one, a lot of people are going for the bull x , at the moment....

my greyhound x saluki x whippet hits the dykes. I sometimes have to close my eyes. He is another accident waiting to happen...... the joys of having dogs.

Guest jamesy

let you lot know how i get on am going to see a whippet X grey tonight, both dam & sire working stock and there local 11 miles away from me owner is 110% sound not a bullshiter , going to take me out with the sire,

who knows, watch this space

Guest buster
let you lot know how i get on am going to see a whippet X grey tonight, both dam & sire working stock and there local 11 miles away from me owner is 110% sound not a bullshiter , going to take me out with the sire,

who knows, watch this space

I hope u get on and get what u want [bANNED TEXT], if it was me i would personally go 4 a bitch from my personal experience. What ever u choose it gives u the pleasure what i had with mine.

When i know how 2 send pics i will send u some :good:

Guest jamesy

yer its a bitch am going for,

as i have a staff bitch in the house with me at the moment and the lurcher pup is going to be indoors to.. yer would good to see some pics of your dog buster cheers

Guest buster
yer its a bitch am going for,

as i have a staff bitch in the house with me at the moment and the lurcher pup is going to be indoors to.. yer would good to see some pics of your dog buster cheers

How did you get on last night? :)