Please learn from this

Guest Stevie D

Guest Stevie D

I went for a walk yesterday on an old railway line that I've walked for the past 10 years with no problems. Where I live there aren't many areas you can walk a terrier loose without asking for trouble, up until now, this railway has been fine.

I had 3 terriers with me , my 6 year old russell bitch Trouble, who never gets into bother no matter waht she faces, Lakie bitch Tag, evil on a Fox, and Michael, my other lakie, so far a hard dog.

After walking half a mile along the railway, Trouble came to life and disappeared halfway down the bank. I grabbed Michael, but was too late to get Tag. I got down the bank to see a set of holes that weren't there last time I was home. I could hear my russell bitch working hard and furious and I knew she was close up to what was in front of her, with the lakie bitch obviously close behind.

To cut a long story short as they say, I had to dig on with a stick and after an hour I could reach Tag and got her out. Trouble backed off immediately and did what she does best, worked away at her own pace, but I grabbed her out anyway.

When I got her out, she was furious and wanted back, but she was in no condition

to carry on.

I've worked this little bitch for 5 years and she's never came unstuck, I'd bet my life on her.

This is just a wee message to those lads who work 2 (or more) terriers in the same hole on a regular basis.

My best bitch ever has just been wrecked because she couldn't work as she wanted, 'cos she had no room to move. I'm f*cking raging but nowt I could do.

If you value your terriers, one at a time lads, that's all I'm saying.

Stevie

Good Post this.. sorry to hear about your dog mate!

never ceases to amaze me why people would consider doubling up their dogs.. I've been guilty of it in the past young and foolish, it's the quickest way to ruin any working dog...

Had a phone call this morning guy I know had 3 in the ground this weekend and they're all smashed :no:

he's always been doubling up dogs .... :(

Guest Stevie D

Jack, I don't think ther's a terrierman alive who's not done it, but in the wrong circumstances it can cost you a terier. I was lucky, that bitch is invaluable to me, no more walks on the railway!!

Stevie

ime not a terrier man so can you tell me please how doublin up fecks your dogs is not 2 dogs half the work? cheers lads

im not a terrier man either but from what ive learnt from here if the dog at the front is getting some stick it cant box clever with another dog behind it so it just gets a load of stick

ime not a terrier man so can you tell me please how doublin up fecks your dogs is not 2 dogs half the work? cheers lads

when 1 dogs workin down the hole with another behind it the 1 at the back can push the other into its quarry with can get a dog smashed & out of action. not good :no:

Guest Side by Side

when 1 dogs workin down the hole with another behind it the 1 at the back can push the other into its quarry with can get a dog smashed & out of action. not good :no:

thast one of the first thing that my father told me he said that he has learnt from..... and dont want me to learn the hard way........

hope your dog makes a speedy recovery......

happy hunting

SBS

I have found the russell ,lakeland and patts tend to get smashed up alot more than the border terriers even when only 1 is to ground.

sometimes they are too hard for there own good

the borders seem to be alot more sensible ie:get the job done without getting smashed.

excellent post mate

i have even heard of terriers being suffocated below ground due to the 2nd dog closing the 1st one in