Too big!?..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the big dogs initial speed i have two racing greys as most people know one 29 and one 29 1/2 " and over a 110 yds they have clocked 5.90 seconds and 6 seconds flat .... i would love to see a rabbit outrun them fuckers :D:D:D

people will always question size, take my misses for example,she said "it'll never fit in there!"but with the right preparation and a bit of patience, the boat slid straight into the milk bottle........ :laugh::laugh:

It’s ‘horses for courses’ of course.. :D Where kye is a biggun does the job and he’s happy where I am for what I do 23†is just the ticket.. If there was 111 yards from coney to cover then Sock’s dogs would do just fine.. :) Would a biggun catch a bo :good: lting rabbit from a standing start if the next cover was fifteen twenty yards away!...possible but not probable imo :good:

as with everything mike it depends on the dog ... i would put money up against my young dog beating any whippet over any distance as his early pace is explosive .... but the older dog would need 25 to 30 yds to win .... if a big dog is trained correctly ... IE given sprint training a couple of times a week his early burst should be as good as any smaller dogs ..... i do agree though mike that in generall a smaller dog will have the slitght advantage over most larger dogs in the initial burst stakes .........

Guest Dillon
A good big'un will beat a good little'un every time IMO :whistle:

On big game I would agree, would you say the same for just rabbits mate.

people will always question size, take my misses for example,she said "it'll never fit in there!"but with the right preparation and a bit of patience, the boat slid straight into the milk bottle........ :laugh::laugh:

LMFAO :laugh:

Size probably doesnt matter as much as some people would like us to think,talking rabbiting lurchers of course :) but if rabbits are your game then it is obvious that you can generaly feed and house a smaller type with less trouble than a bigger type.Probably a lot of the different tastes when it comes to size is more to do with working style.Again generaly IMO a smaller type will be more handy in the smaller hedged fields where for bigger more open spaces a dog with a bit more hight and stride might be just the thing.IF I was just after rabbits personaly something around the 23inch mark would be my choice.

A pic of my favourite rabbiter.

you only need enough speed to catch what ever you running, to much speed + less stamina. We will see come the lamping comp if size really maters as all these 29- 30 + will of course be entered wont they :whistle:

I think just because a dog is BIG, dont mean he is gonna be a slacker early on in a race/course...running style determins that...my bitch isnt as good over 15-30 yards, she has a more laid back running style...but my dog just reminds me of a whippet X Greyhound, just a bigger, hairy one that is a gamer!..lol.

I think if i just hunted rabbits, a dog around the 23-24" would be ok, but i have found my dogs have NO difficulty in running small game...just what i have found over here though..

Kye,..

Size probably doesnt matter as much as some people would like us to think,talking rabbiting lurchers of course :) but if rabbits are your game then it is obvious that you can generaly feed and house a smaller type with less trouble than a bigger type.Probably a lot of the different tastes when it comes to size is more to do with working style.Again generaly IMO a smaller type will be more handy in the smaller hedged fields where for bigger more open spaces a dog with a bit more hight and stride might be just the thing.IF I was just after rabbits personaly something around the 23inch mark would be my choice.

nice dog kane,spit of my pup.whats his breeding.

nice dog kane,spit of my pup.whats his breeding.

Hes a 1st xBull/Greyhound the bloke that bred him is turk another member of this forum.

A good big'un will beat a good little'un every time IMO :whistle:

I don't really subscribe to the theory that a 'whippety' type of cur will be the 'boy for the shushis',....one of my best ever rabbit harvesters was a Deerhound hybrid,.she was at least,.27" and took several thousand rabbits,.plus 300 'various',...It's all to do with 'agility,.ability and strike',...end of story.... ;)