over the past few weeks iv noticed my birds geting thinner and thinner in the cover then i realised how many rats there are would rats in large numbers keep my birds from there fedd making them move on??

in simple terms , no, rats feed mainly at night, birds do so in the day light hours.. its more likely down to the loss of naturall food due to the time of year and a little down to the stress of the shooting season being in full swing..

:rofl::rofl: totally miss under stood, i thought thin as in weight , you mean thin on the ground.... pound to a penny its a fox on its nightly rounds at night and or a bop doing its through the day, they wont hang about long if there getting pestered.....

Wouldn't think rats are the problem........unless they are eating all the feed before the birds get a look in. Partridges are notoriously difficult to hold in a particular area at the best of times........they may have just wandered off in search of another food outlet.

Rolfe.

I have never know partridges come in to a feeder. In my experience they need natural feedstuffs. You can spread some grain on well eaten-out stubbles but every other graineater will be at it as well. If you are seeing rats then get in about them and sort them out. I should reckon that one rate equals one partridge in term of corn consumed.

I am only speaking about English Greys, we don't have red legs.

• 2 weeks later...
I have never know partridges come in to a feeder. In my experience they need natural feedstuffs. You can spread some grain on well eaten-out stubbles but every other graineater will be at it as well. If you are seeing rats then get in about them and sort them out. I should reckon that one rate equals one partridge in term of corn consumed.

I am only speaking about English Greys, we don't have red legs.

I spent the last 5 years as a hill keeper putting down 7 thousand partridge(red-legs) and 1000 pheasants.

Shotgun Willy, if you have a lot of rats living around the pens they will disturb the birds on a night and eventually they will not like to roost in or around the pens.

Edited by dogs-n-natives