Swap HMR for Centrefire

I recently got granted an HMR on my cert. as well as my .22rf. The plan was to use this for foxes,but after reading different posts on here i now realise this is NOT an ideal calibre for the job.

I am now thinking of changing this for a centrefire, and have narrowed it down to either a .223 a.22-250 or a .243

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are of these calibres and also wanted to know roughly what the barrel life is of these calibres.

thanks Dave.

.223 of the three.

Cheap ammunition (cheaper than HMR in some cases :yes: ), low recoil, kills Charlie as far as most people can shoot.

.22-250, great calibre, very flat, a great deal of energy, barrel life is not as long as the .223. Ammunition is expensive.

.243, another great calibre :rolleyes: with light bullets it is very flat, with the light, flat fox rounds, the barrel life will be shorter. Ammunition is expensive if you just want a gun that will kill a fox to 300 yards.

A change from a HMR to a .223 is as Mr L says, a big step up, power is four to five times as much.

SS :thumbs:

Agreed .223 for a fox gun only, however if you think you will try stalking at some point then .243 buy once and buy quality.......

Have you any deer around you.......

.223 excellent calibre relatively cheap ammo and accurate, good for 300 and a bit more..........

A major step up from .17 hmr........................enjoy

Be guided by your FEO and your ticket status, is it open or closed? what is your land cleared for?

No point having a gun you can only use on certain land and not all of it.

I got rid of my 17HMR when I got an open ticket and a .223 as the .223 will do everything the .17 can and more plus it is as cheep to shoot if you reload

Well i have used a 22-250 and thought it was excellent very flat flying but this was my bosses gun and his ammunition only the other week i saw the expensive of bullets so i would go for the cheaper 223 which im sure is an excellent choice

Be guided by your FEO and your ticket status, is it open or closed? what is your land cleared for?

No point having a gun you can only use on certain land and not all of it.

I got rid of my 17HMR when I got an open ticket and a .223 as the .223 will do everything the .17 can and more plus it is as cheep to shoot if you reload

The land is cleared for a .243 as we have a vicar come round 1-2 a year to shoot some deer. (yes a VICAR)

thanks everyone for your replies, looks like it will be a .223 then.