dogs

Interesting thread this !!!

Its always nice to see a nice put together animal and many lurchers are cracking looking but like you say 'Handsome is as Handsome does', and many of the best lurchers wouldn't win a show !!!

When i usually go to a show (i dont show my lurchers) i always like to watch the judge and see what he's looking at in a dog !!! I can remember been at a show in March last year and listening to a bloke tell me how his two Saluki crooses were the 'Muts Nuts' and had been running hard all season !!! After feeling the dogs back i knew someone was telling some 'Porkies' !!!! Now fair enough in the summer all working dogs put a little 'Beef' on, but March !!! they should still be in decent enough shape !!!

Heres one for you lurchers fans !!!

It's always been said (a few books have mentioned this as well) that if a dog has space between it's shoulder blades then it will have a fair amount of stamina !!! Now i have a greyhound bitch and i can just about get four fingers between her shoulder blades and as everone knows the words 'Stamina' and 'Greyhound' don't usually go in the same sentence !!! Yet most saluki crosses don't have a big gaps between there shoulder blades and they are true stayers !!!

Anyone else have views on this ??????

All the best Tommy ;);)

I always thought 3 fingers or more between the shoulder blades meant they could get there head down low to run and pick up easier than a dog that has 2 fingers or less gap personaly i think stamina has a lot to do with the pain barrier and determination ive seen hares running with there tongue out but there running for there life whereas a lot of dogs give up when the going gets tough i also think confidence is a must a correctly entered dog only run at certaintys as a pup. doesnt ever think i cant catch when its older whereas a dog might have endless stamina but not look like it has when its running if its got no determination at the end of the day a dog can look fit but it means nothing as stamina cant be seen as i said before in my own opinion handsome is as handsome does putting muscle on a dog is easy but determination thats a different matter.

imo....all the tales of a deep chest, or fingers between the blades idea, meaning a dog will have stamina, dont really add up because all your describing is the perfect greyhound. saluki,s have practically nothing between the blades, and are built like skeletons

its not actually the size ov the lungs but the size ov the airs sacks inside them i think there called the broncules the more oxygen u get into these and into the blood which carries it 2 all the muscles that r bein used keeps the dog running longer! steady state running is the best exercise 4 this. :good: