Royal Engineers

Im interested in training as an electrician when i leave school in 6months or so.

But the way things are with jobs, i think i would find it very hard to get an apprenticeship.

So been to careers evening at school tonight and spoke to army about going into royal engineers and training there.

So what im asking is, is there anyone here in royal engineers that can give me a bit of 1st hand info on what its really like and just how tough the training ect is

Cheers Paddy :gunsmilie:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im interested in training as an electrician when i leave school in 6months or so.

But the way things are with jobs, i think i would find it very hard to get an apprenticeship.

So been to careers evening at school tonight and spoke to army about going into royal engineers and training there.

So what im asking is, is there anyone here in royal engineers that can give me a bit of 1st hand info on what its really like and just how tough the training ect is

Cheers Paddy :gunsmilie:

dont know about engineers mate ,i was in paras 15 years, but what ever unit you go in you need to be fit, so just get out running as much as possible,press ups, pull ups.

Like realdeal says

Get yourself fit. Or you will be Fooked before you start. If its what you really want to do then you will find the strengh to acomplish it. But if its a half hearted dicision because theres no other option then you will find yourself back to square one. Sappers are brave fookers, They have to get on with it even under fire and i have a lot of respect for them even no para would openly admit it. Am i not right realdeal ;)

Like realdeal says

Get yourself fit. Or you will be Fooked before you start. If its what you really want to do then you will find the strengh to acomplish it. But if its a half hearted dicision because theres no other option then you will find yourself back to square one. Sappers are brave fookers, They have to get on with it even under fire and i have a lot of respect for them even no para would openly admit it. Am i not right realdeal ;)

Cheers bud, dont want to sound vein but im quite fit allready, but can never be too fit ey.

Its no half hearted decission ive though about it in past then dismissed it for other ideas

Would recommend to any young lad to join the forces i spent 7 years in the royal signals i loved it would still be in now but i had bad accident and had to have a total knee replacement! If you can get through basic training with the right attitude and right frame of mind you will enjoy it. Also its not just about running and pressups get a rucksack on your back with a load of weight in and go tab it out till your shins are burning then carry on some more! I did a lot of running and fitness before i joined wish i did more weighted walks though. You will make life long friends see things that others cant even dream of and the money is ok and its a steady guaranteed job!

hey mate, i am a recruit instructor, and i have a few engiqueers in my platoon here, if you need any advice on what to train on thendrop me a pm, can give you a full briefing and also tell you all the home truths about the training. All the best for what ever you join, butif you end up in my platoon god help yah. :p