Advice on how to train a lab

McKay

hello all, been interested in hunting for quite some time now, all aspects of it, but never got round to it, finaly, i have a bit of time get round to something ive longed to do and try and train my lab to be a good gundog, and hoping i could gain some advise of alot of the experienced mob on here, problem is, my lab is 4 years old, is this to late, or will it simply just make my task harder? all advice will be realy appreciated, thanks

liam

hello all, been interested in hunting for quite some time now, all aspects of it, but never got round to it, finaly, i have a bit of time get round to something ive longed to do and try and train my lab to be a good gundog, and hoping i could gain some advise of alot of the experienced mob on here, problem is, my lab is 4 years old, is this to late, or will it simply just make my task harder? all advice will be realy appreciated, thanks

liam

Some people will say it's too late but it depends on the dog itself imo.

Start with the basic sit stay wait heel etc

Do retrieves with a dummy and hold the dog with your command till you want it to go, no good just chucking the dummy and letting it run after it, its control you want to master!

Try blind retrieves, easy at first to give the dog the chance to learn the dirctional signals.

In the mean time try and find some beating/picking up work to do on a local shoot.

Im just bringing mine back from a 2 yr break and he is 7 and learning knew things aswell as refreshing old commands.

Atb

thanks for your advice, im desperate to get the training started soon, its going to take some paitence aswell lol, he can easily get over excited which we can seem to only control with treats lol, but with plenty of time and a lot of effort it should pay off

thanks for your advice, im desperate to get the training started soon, its going to take some paitence aswell lol, he can easily get over excited which we can seem to only control with treats lol, but with plenty of time and a lot of effort it should pay off

Dont be taking it beating ,get in touch with a gundog trainer enroll in some classes go from there,,let him assess you and the dog and start from scratch do not take it to a shoot or attempt picking up with it....

Edited by ESS
thats a good book youve been recommended, however lots of people manage better with actual tuition so why not try www.thegundogclub.co.uk as they have training courses and sessions all over the uk.

WE AGREE AT LAST :clapper: