opening up/yapping is it all that bad

Hi all just wondered what peoples thoughts are on opening up I have had 2 dogs now that have done it and both were good working dogs I was told several times by people that they would have shot them and I thought there must be a lot of dogs that in the right hands would have made fantastic workers had they been given the chance and had this fawlt overlooked and wounder how many have met an untimely end or been passed pillar to post through this fault. Both of my dogs were whippet x one started at 12months and did it from the first coarse wich she cought with ease so wasnt down to frustration,so I put it down to age so with my second I didnt start her till she was 18month and she didnt do it untill after her first eight rabbits wich were on three seperet occasions and the odds were always leaning in her favour then whith time over the next few months she only used to open up on the first coarse of the night and not a peep after that first one even when she was losing ground to the conney in question,so now I put it down to a whippet thing as my 2 lurchers I have at present have never opened up and 1 was started at 12month and 1 at 14month and niether contain whippet any replys would be greatly appreciated :D

I think there are two distinct types, the sheer frustration, like the dog is swearing,(at the point of missing). And secondly the cry for help, cause it's beat already.(Yapping throughout.) They come from 2 different types of dog, (not breed, or type).

Cannot explain it in words.

it sometimes happens with young overexcited dogs on first chase of the night but personaly i wouldnt want a dog continously yapping frightening off all the game they were bred to be silent and thats what they should be.

I agree my little bitch that did it constantly was a pain and I used her mainly for ferreting after a while wich was a shame as she was making an exellent little lamping dog but when ferreting even when after bolters she was silent weird.But I am still of my own belife that whippets are more prone to open up than others but that is just my opinion and I have witnesed other breed of lurcher that have opened up but it just seems that whippets tend to take to it more than others.

thanks for the replies.

it sometimes happens with young overexcited dogs on first chase of the night but personaly i wouldnt want a dog continously yapping frightening off all the game they were bred to be silent and thats what they should be.

I'd stick to working in the day if I had a yapping dog. Would be good for a bit of bushing. :thumbs:

Yapping has its place in working dogs, but not if you wanna stay unnoticed.............i was taken out for the day by a well known dogman and his dogs cryed on the scent of the quarry........this was absolutely the only reason that put me in place and let me know what was coming......other than that day, i'd have always said yapping is a no go zone!!!!!

Regards yapping and scaring rabbits off, not all rabbits will run off. I had a no ped whippet years ago, i took her one night on the lamp. In this field there were about 14 rabbits, slipped her on one about 30yds out , she ran it and yapped from start to finish. I thought well thats fecked it, got her back put the lamp back on, and Feck me the was still 10 rabbits there :o . She got 4 , not bad for her 1 night, every think not black+white ;) ?

Regards yapping and scaring rabbits off, not all rabbits will run off. I had a no ped whippet years ago, i took her one night on the lamp. In this field there were about 14 rabbits, slipped her on one about 30yds out , she ran it and yapped from start to finish. I thought well thats fecked it, got her back put the lamp back on, and Feck me the was still 10 rabbits there :o . She got 4 , not bad for her 1 night, every think not black+white ;) ?

I have also found it to be the same when I used to take my little bitch out that yapped constantly on the lamp it didnt make much difference its a pain to listen to and also if ur somewhere u shouldnt bee. I found that when on the rabbits heals yapping it sometimes gave them another gear but didnt find it realy bothered the rest in the field she was a good little dog and I was told hundreds of times by mates that they would have shot her had she been theres any way didnt really matter in the end as she was a much better ferreting companion than a lamper as she was a bit on the small side.

thanks all for the replies.