Advice for ferreting a HUGE warren

The ground Im going to each weekend is out of control with rabbits, The entire 20/30 acres is literally one large warren, Its getting harder each weekend to get burrows that are detached from the rest, While I was out today, I chanced the edge of the main warren, disaster, My polecat dissapeared off the face of the earth, I luckily saw three rabbits bolting about 150yds up the field, I run up knowing that she was probably on their heels and luckily, the locator started beeping near, I managed to get her again, But If Im going to put any sort of a dent in these rabbits, I am going to have to tackle the larger warrens in some way, But its so awkward, when one is connected to another and another and the ferts are coming out very very far away with a danger of being lost, not only that, but I have about 30 nets and its nowehere near enough, the rabbits bolting rings round me...Any help would be appreciated, I will try and get some good shots of the ground

FF

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sounds like fun there mate im sure you could get a few of us to come along and help if its as big and as holely as u say then longnets a must and may b about 8-10 ferrets, good luck with it mate

Your going to need help with that you could do with some long nets and half a dozen ferrets, good dogs and 2 or 3 men the more nets the better, or you could stink it out a few days before then the rabbits will move into the small warrens and the above ground cover. if your going to use ferrets make sure you start early to give yourself plenty of time best of luck let us know how it go'es.

Is it possible to long net at night?

You could get a decent bag by the sound of things and no risk of losing the ferrets....

Just a thought.

Good luck.

G.

It would be no problem at night, I just havent a clue about long netting....Im waiting on the art of Long netting book from amazon, Buts its up to 3 weeks before its delivered - How would I go about long netting it at night? I know you set the net between the rabbits and the holes, But on that ground its just all holes! Theres no particular area where the rabbits feed, they just go everywhere!

Wow.

I wish i had permission on a place like this :( . Erm, Id suggest working with a few more people with about 10 ferrets and a couple of dogs. As far as longneting go's mate, I carnt help you on that 1 coz iam in the same boat as you. But if you need a hand you no where to ask :whistling: lol. Im sure a few off here would come and have a bunny feast with you!!!

Bigphil

where abouts do u live?

Im in Northern Ireland, I can just imagine 6 of you checking in with easyjet, ferrets boxes on the weight belt, dressd in cammo with lurchers :clapper:

Already booked a ticket :blink:

Edited by bigphil

there must be a few members from here, living over there, put out an invite to all, get as many longnets as you can, circurling the area, and sub dividing it also, every person picks a spot and sticks to it, also sounds like this would be a good place to use a loca8tor also, see pinned topic head of page, "alternative ferret finder" as it can be used upto 400ft distances above ground

I think that it gets to a point where a burry gets too big for ferreting. No matter how much experiance you have even to have a chance of working an established burry that size that you're going to need A LOT of people that know what they are doing. Lots of people and guns don't mix so i'd scratch bolt shooting straight away. Personally i can't imagine the logistic's of tackling it with ferrets :blink:

It may be possible to try and get rabbits to move to some of the individual fringe burry's by rolling fur-cones soaked in diesal down areas of the large warren and then hitting them hard in the smaller ones but even then its a massive exercise. I think you were very lucky to get your ferrets back and were wise to try and avoid the main warren.

With the number if entrance / exit holes about on something that size longnetting probably isn't practical either and a running dog would have great risk of injury.

Personally i'd say a dedicated trapping (mk4's and BMI's) and snaring campaign together with rimfire work.