First time fly fishing

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate is taking me fly fishing tomorrow for the first time. He gave me a couple of hours lesson today and i was surprised to find the casting quite easy. Sure it will be a different ball game when i try it for real though.

i will be fishing a stocked fishery in sussex so im sure the fish will be there the only question will be whether i can catch one. Does anyone have any useful advice?

My advice would be not to worry about casting to far. Approach the water quietly and make some short easy casts to begin with. Also keep moving, if you don't get a touch in 5 mins, move 10 yards and try again. Keep doing this round the water until you get a touch.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Just got back in. i f*cking loved it! Caught a 2 1/2 lber and the guy i went with had three. No disasterous tangles or other screw ups and i wasnt a whole lot worse than some other people there which is not bad as the first time i picked up a fly rod was yesterday :D

Got your pics too Mackem, although i used Amy's camera so i have to wait til she comes in to post them.

well done

i still remember my first ever trout, (along with those that i missed on the way) caught on a similar sized still water to a shipmans buzzer

well done

fin and fur

• 4 weeks later...