coyote video

I will be coursing coyotes off my mules in the near future. I used to do it with crossbreds but now I am gonna start doing it with straight stags. I will still keep some pure July hounds and maybe even some crossbreds for casting but I am gonna hunt stags from my mules soon.

People do run them single handed to test their dogs and make sure they have single handed dogs but not very often. These coyotes are not anything like a fox. I know we keep stressing that but its very true and folks need to understand this. They do not go down easy. They are very hardy and not soft and breakable. I had a cur dog gyp catch a big dog fox in a corn stalk field one day. She tripped it grabbed it and shook it for about 20 seconds or so and had it all but dead. It was broke up on the inside. You cannot hardly make a dog that can do that to a coyote cause when you get em that big and powerful, they cannot catch one.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simoman-As Dan said, their stamina combined with their speed is what seperates them from most dogs. When you have seen one run full out with a truck for 2-3 miles and then still out run the dogs, you will be a believer. Those that are fast enough or have enough wind to catch one then still have to deal with the little wolf, and thats when you find out what your feeding... :gunsmilie: Truely the triple threat... :notworthy:

They are still run off horseback here. Especially when pushing cows. The coyotes are used to seeing the horses, and sometimes must think the dogs are just stock dogs and dont leave out hard until its too late. The horses like to course almost as much as the dogs...LOL

smelly-Its not uncommen for the stags to split and each take their own coyote in a race, but we dont normally drop just one dog at a time.

Take care.

they might have stamina but it dont look like they got any speed .they definetly got no where to hide or get away .,in them vids.

how much of a head start did the quarry have ,the dogs made up some ground on him and rather quickly

You may think they dont have speed but their aint never been a fox born that can out run them. I have personally witnessed a coyote taking a fox out like it was child's play. We dont even have fox left anymore cause the coyotes have caught and killed them all. I aint gonna get heated but trust me they can flat ass fly. I believe they have clocked some coyotes hitting 43 mph. This may be off a mph or two one way or another but trust me, they can get it. Them dogs that are running them down are extremely fast approaching track grey speed and have more stamina than you can even imagine. Like I said, 200 years of breeding behind these dogs to catch and kill coyotes. You do the math folks.

You might jump some coyotes 100 yards out and some of them might be a 1/4 mile or better. Do you want to see a video of them catching a fox? I can get one. Its rather funny how fast they catch up with it and I bet it was a half mile out.

def post it up pal

Edited by scent

foxes are not fast i dont know where you got that from ,you only have to get one to run in a strait line to see how quick a dog can catch one ,and they are not hard to kill either ,i have no expereance with coyotes ,all i stait is they look very slow and easy to catch especialy with dogs that are being driven as close as they were ,it looks like the coyote was chased by the truck first untill it gets tired then the dogs get set loose ,i might be wrong i might be right ,some thing we wont know ,just the way it is shown on the vids.either that or they were 2 very slow coyotes

Edited by MY LAW

It dont really matter, law. Somebody asked me to put this up. I dont think any of us are too worried about what somebody thinks that has never seen one run. We have coyotes here that take deer down and wolves that take elk and muleys. We have dogs that can take coyotes for fun. I guess you must no something faster than the game we run. There might be on the plains of Africa but as far as I know there aint been nobody breeding dogs just yet to take down impala and if there is I would love to see it.

It dont really matter, law. Somebody asked me to put this up. I dont think any of us are too worried about what somebody thinks that has never seen one run. We have coyotes here that take deer down and wolves that take elk and muleys. We have dogs that can take coyotes for fun. I guess you must no something faster than the game we run. There might be on the plains of Africa but as far as I know there aint been nobody breeding dogs just yet to take down impala and if there is I would love to see it.
im not knocking you mate but they do look very easy to catch in the vids . Edited by MY LAW

Not a problem, law. Not a problem at all brother. These are not "lurchers" being ran on these critters. These have no "working" dog blood in them at all, well at least not for a long time ago. These are a strain of I guess you could call them "pure" running dogs that have tremendous amounts of stamina and courage. Here is a descent pic of two really great young dogs, close up so you guys can sort of see what they look like. Its very obvious there is no "working dog" in them.