no success with spinning

RFYL, 50LB trust is a serious peace of kit, But you need the best for when your serious about your sport

Do you keep a record of the areas you fish ( I mean the depths & features ) of the ouze and other rivers

for reference, Or does it depend on bait fish roach and dace etc and areas they move around for predator movements or is there predatory areas and marks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RFYL, 50LB trust is a serious peace of kit, But you need the best for when your serious about your sport

Do you keep a record of the areas you fish ( I mean the depths & features ) of the ouze and other rivers

for reference, Or does it depend on bait fish roach and dace etc and areas they move around for predator movements or is there predatory areas and marks

Nelson, i never keep a record of where i fish on a river, as it is all in my mind. I never forget where i catch a big fish, or a pack of fish. I always remember what kind of an area it is, wether it be a holding \area, or a hotspot...Uusally you will fing the prey fish in more or less the same area every season, unless a ferature has changed due to flooding etc...

As for still waters such as lochs and big open reservours, i use a gps system to pin point a hotspot or feeding area, a feature, a drop off, or anything interesting that will hold a fish or atract any number of fish....

Rivers are very simple to fish, and fish can move great distances on them but are much easier to locate, as the deeper water, doesnt last as long as the uniform water, if that makes any sense, hope that paints a bit better pic for you nelson, ask away pal, i dont mind.

have you tried the rubber shads we use perchy looking ones and had a good summer using them ive always found river pike harder to catch than still water pike

Are you having a laugh valleylad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read at the top of page 2 and see the pics, that was all for the benifit of you! These are your words at the top here!!! And yet you have come back and said "spot on" under my last post!!!

Come on, your jusy making stuff up..... lets have it right, people are trying to learn, and your just saying silly things... First you say that river pike are harder to catch, then when i say they are easy to locate, you say "spot on"!! Read all this thread again, or at least the post i wrote especially for you,... Then you will see the difference, from someone who really does fish both, thanks.... Russ

Thank you RFYL People like yourself make a forum, I know am scraching around the edges with words becaues I dont fresh water fish an never have regrettably, But I understand with'' you never forget a place where you catch fish'' that I can relate to, Its interesting you use a GPS thats my way I lauch then simply press go to on the waypoints but different times brings different species rough ground, clean, wreck, brocken up and areas good just on the flood

Thanks again Mate good fishing......... Ian

Thank you RFYL People like yourself make a forum, I know am scraching around the edges with words becaues I dont fresh water fish an never have regrettably, But I understand with'' you never forget a place where you catch fish'' that I can relate to, Its interesting you use a GPS thats my way I lauch then simply press go to on the waypoints but different times brings different species rough ground, clean, wreck, brocken up and areas good just on the flood

Nice 1 Ian and thanks for the nice words, i do like to help, just gets me when people comment on stuff they dont know much about, lol. i cant confess to nothing much about sea fishing tho, so are conversation would be limited, until we got on to our gadgets,lol. I have had conger to 40Lb, but i think everyone has fished for them.. Did you see my sword fish i caught?

Nice 1 Ian and thanks for the nice words, i do like to help, just gets me when people comment on stuff they dont know much about, lol. i cant confess to nothing much about sea fishing tho, so are conversation would be limited, until we got on to our gadgets,lol. I have had conger to 40Lb, but i think everyone has fished for them.. Did you see my sword fish i caught?

Yea I did mate, spot on I assume you was on holiday I went to grand canaria last week I was tempted to go sport fishing

but it was a family holiday and missus said '' Ho go if you want to '' thats her way of saying no, Am not under the thumb or anything :cry: but you know what i mean, Ive had good conger myself form wrecks in angelsey not to 40lbs throu average 15 to 20 and thats good going sometimes

have you tried the rubber shads we use perchy looking ones and had a good summer using them ive always found river pike harder to catch than still water pike

Are you having a laugh valleylad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read at the top of page 2 and see the pics, that was all for the benifit of you! These are your words at the top here!!! And yet you have come back and said "spot on" under my last post!!!

Come on, your jusy making stuff up..... lets have it right, people are trying to learn, and your just saying silly things... First you say that river pike are harder to catch, then when i say they are easy to locate, you say "spot on"!! Read all this thread again, or at least the post i wrote especially for you,... Then you will see the difference, from someone who really does fish both, thanks.... Russ

i was taking the piss pal wear i live runfyl the river pike seem harder to the stills why would i say it if it wernt true spot on its called having a sense of humour try it you mite like it now less of the slating hay mate were all on here get on we have different oppinions thats that ;) ill take some pics of our river we fish and the lakes you wouldnt get your fancey tackle on thier they far to small i dont drive so iam limited to places i can go you get me now

shut up valleylad, you werent joking one bit, there is no saense of humour in that what so ever..... Take a look at some of my threads, i have been asked to stop being silly and having a laugh by boring people, so as for a sense of hunour, your talking daft again, plus what you wrote there makes no sense at all.... you just confused that guy who asked the question, there is no way on this earth that any river pike are harder to catch!! gthats fact!! now lets forget it, and not talk daft....

i was taking the piss pal wear i live runfyl the river pike seem harder to the stills why would i say it if it wernt true spot on its called having a sense of humour try it you mite like it now less of the slating hay mate were all on here get on we have different oppinions thats that ;) ill take some pics of our river we fish and the lakes you wouldnt get your fancey tackle on thier they far to small i dont drive so iam limited to places i can go you get me now

'Let it rest' valleylad?

Yea I did mate, spot on I assume you was on holiday I went to grand canaria last week I was tempted to go sport fishing

but it was a family holiday and missus said '' Ho go if you want to '' thats her way of saying no, Am not under the thumb or anything :cry: but you know what i mean, Ive had good conger myself form wrecks in angelsey not to 40lbs throu average 15 to 20 and thats good going sometimes

Well i was sort of on holiday, as we have an apartment in "gran canaria"! if you had let me know, i could have gotr you out with my mates. !!

get some spinner bait's. good lure . work's well for me i caught loads on em. and dont get despondent. lure fishing on it's day can be awsome but more often than not it is slow. :wallbash: just keep at it and have confidence . build up a good selection 'o' lure's ,colour,size, type. stick to it and you will have some good day's.. :victory:

if your failing with the spinners,pop down the supermarket for some sprats and try wobbling or sink and draw,if you feel like a break just let it sink to the bottom and it still fishes as a dead bait,all else failing to catch take the remaining sprats home and cook em for tea,very nice all the best

You find river pike harder than still water!!! Jesus, i have never ever heard as much bollocks spoken in all my life! sorry folk but come on....

You can almost well 99% fish every bit of a river, all the snags, every feature, every bank!!! you can present your bait in all most perfectly...

Still waters are vast areas of underwater features, some way to far off to get at, unless on a boat, and then your pissing in the wind alot of the time!

I'll tell you what pal, you go fish conniston, windermere, thelmere, bassenthwaite, derwent water just a few of the ultra hard lakedistrict waters!!

Move on up to scotland where people say the pike are plentyful, you go sit it out on lomond in winter blizards, loch awe, where i have trolled and not seen a fish on the finder for over 2 miles!!!!!! yeah 2 miles, and there were people bivvyed up on the bank!

For feck sake, find a good looking peg for silver fish on a river and you usually find a hot spot for pike. Sorry valleylad, but you are talking absolute nonsense.....

One of my favourite days out, is on my boat on the yorkshire ouze. start the elecy engine, cast 2 lures out behind the boat and set off, catchy upto 30 pike aday, sometimes n othing big but sometimes, some real clonkers, now if thats hard fishing, god knows.....its very enjoyable, but very easy, and brings a welcome break from those big hard still waters!!

The top pic is the ouze,

the bottom pic, is lomond.. look behind me... then you decide which would be the hardest to fish!

RIVER PIKE 30LB PLUS ARE MOST DEFENETLY HARDER TO CATCH THAN STILLWATER 30LB PIKE [you have to admit that .
if your failing with the spinners,pop down the supermarket for some sprats and try wobbling or sink and draw,if you feel like a break just let it sink to the bottom and it still fishes as a dead bait,all else failing to catch take the remaining sprats home and cook em for tea,very nice all the best

thought about wobbling just need to get some ready made traces and as for the sprats, nah thanks not my cup of tea

thought about wobbling just need to get some ready made traces and as for the sprats, nah thanks not my cup of tea

sprats one of the most underrated baits going and one of the cheapest [but one of the best ]dont knock it untill you try it . Edited by MY LAW

sprats one of the most underrated baits going and one of the cheapest [but one of the best ]dont knock it untill you try it .

i meant i dont fancy eating them, ive already got a bag full in my freezer for use as bait