local Permission

Llanshooter

Was out last saturday night with my son and a shooting pal.

We have permission on 130 acres in Shropshire, which has a golf course on it.

Anyway, I ran a 75yd quickset net out in one corner of the golf course while my son and my mate took the his spaniel round to another corner to run the other 75 yarder.

Once I'd set my net out the plan was to leave that in place then join my lad and mat to push the rabbits into their net then come back and push into mine - BIG mistake.

Firstly my walkie talkie had packed in so a I waited for about half an hour under the trees waiting for a call to walk up and join the others. After this wait I saw and heard them coming through, driving the net. Apparently they had got concerned having not been able rto contact me and my son was worried that I'd fallen in a ditch.

After sorting that out we pushed into the corner and nabbed 7 eabbits in the net.

Cleared the net and moved back to push my net. Only two rabbits but one must have been in there a while because it had nearly chewed its way clear.

Suffice to say 3 hours repairing the netting and splicing the top line together has taught me not to do that again.

Ran a third area later but there were too many floodlights around to get the net out - could see the field moving with rabbits as I was moving up, but they were into the warren in the wood before I could lay out the net.

Going back with the ferrets on saturday morning with the repaired longnets and the purse nets - Hopefully to bag up.

Well went out with two mates, my lad and his mate.

6 ferrets 30 purse nets and two long nets.

Result = 9 rabbits.

We know the area is crawling with bunnies!

There is one area that we ferreted with all purse nets and a long net.

All ferrets were down at the same time. but only 1 rabbit caught.

The place looks like a model of the moon surface as there are so many tunnels that have collapsed in the sandy soild and so many intact tunnels that we think thebunnies wre just running the ferrets around underground.

More success along some hedgerows and there are a few areas that will produce when the frosts kill of the undergrowth.

The question is how do you think we should tackle the area that is honeycombed and with tunnels - Any suggetsions greatly welcomed as this is the third time we've been on this bit with limited success. Night netting is out as its well lit from a nearby main road and therefore never dark enough to hide us from feeding rabbits.

How many ferrets were down and how many holes LS? If there giving the ferrets the run around, stick some more ferrets down If you have any. Try starting at one end of the warren and pushing them to the other side..

At one point all 6 ferrets were down. There were too many holes to count - the place is honeycombed, which is whiy we brought the long nets as there' s no way we would cover all the holes. There were pop holes in the field but also others under piles of cut wood. I think before we hit it again properly we'll need to do some tidying up so we can totally enclose the area with longnets

How many ferrets were down and how many holes LS? If there giving the ferrets the run around, stick some more ferrets down If you have any. Try starting at one end of the warren and pushing them to the other side..

At one point all 6 ferrets were down. There were too many holes to count - the place is honeycombed, which is whiy we brought the long nets as there' s no way we would cover all the holes. There were pop holes in the field but also others under piles of cut wood. I think before we hit it again properly we'll need to do some tidying up so we can totally enclose the area with longnets

can i come ;)