Ratting In northwest/liverpool

Guest jrt

hey i origanally come from ainsdale now this is a long shot i used to get a lot of ratting along the canal at bootle and litherland also if you can get to southport behind halfords there is leigh enviromental the skip place if they are still there the best ratting ive ever had kept my russels busy all day one tip never go to arrow park on the wirral we got lifted and accused of doing brocks when we where only walking the dogs (9 terriers) after a crap day with no foxs with a keeper i knew over there good luck

Hi all,

Im very new to all of this - i bought 2 pups from a farmer who told me they were cross between border terrier and lakeland terrier.

Turns out both dogs are pure patterdales, (1 long haired, 1 short haired) now 11 months old they are fighting for dominance and desperate for work :) believe me it was a shock to see my 2 lovley puppys trying to fight till the death luckily i managed to stop them with only a few bites to my hands and a tetanus jab at the doc, lol.

The above post mentioned by claybusers al about southport - this is my home town and i do know that area at the back of halfords - id like to start working my dogs, purely for them really. I understand that this type of dog needs this kind of excercise - but where do i start ?

I need an idiots guide really, the above info is good, but what more do i need to know ? - any tips or advice would be very much apprieciated.

Hi all,

Im very new to all of this - i bought 2 pups from a farmer who told me they were cross between border terrier and lakeland terrier.

Turns out both dogs are pure patterdales, (1 long haired, 1 short haired) now 11 months old they are fighting for dominance and desperate for work :) believe me it was a shock to see my 2 lovley puppys trying to fight till the death luckily i managed to stop them with only a few bites to my hands and a tetanus jab at the doc, lol.

The above post mentioned by claybusers al about southport - this is my home town and i do know that area at the back of halfords - id like to start working my dogs, purely for them really. I understand that this type of dog needs this kind of excercise - but where do i start ?

I need an idiots guide really, the above info is good, but what more do i need to know ? - any tips or advice would be very much apprieciated.

You need to keep those two pups housed seperate, kennels & runs, if there in the house?crates for when your not around

because they aint finished, as lot of lads on here will tell you and with the loss of some good dogs, The fact you was bitten, I would knock that in the head,you have a dog that is a pack animal at the top of the pack is a Alfa male! That should be you..Your dogs are fighting for pack order,the fact of you being bitten could mean, they dont see you as Alfa male?

Look at the Order of a wolf pack, there is harmony within the wolf pack, with the Alfa male being top dog,order is established within the pack, if the Alfa male dies all anarchy breaks out until a order established with a new Alfa male.

when you feed your dogs, you have the right as Alfa male to take there food off them,if they show any agression, grab the little Fuker by the scruff of the neck pull it down to the floor and hold it there on its back in sumission position maintaining eye contact.Although it never worked with my otherhalf :cry::no: Did all this years ago when I introduced a adult Dobermann to my two other adult Dobermanns..Thought I just tell you that incase anyone thinks I have got the box series to the dog whisperer :whistling::victory:

I believe i am alpha male, its just i was dumb enough to stick my hands in to try and seperate them when they were fighting for dominance between themselves, i quickly realised that these dogs are working dogs, they just wouldnt let go of each other, after a 10 minute battle and blood up the walls and the bottoms of my trousers covered in blood i was lucky enough to stop them. I really want my dogs to get along as they used to - both male siblings, but now turning adult. - Ive bought muzzles for them, so i can at least reintroduce them together again but you can see this depresses them; tails down, head down and inaminate stareing - very sad.

Im also using a crates to seperate them, almost taking it in turns to save them from boredom - Will my dogs ever get along ? or do i need to take em both for the snip, will this mean that they then cant work anymore, as i like the idea of taking them ratting so that they can be the dog they they are meant to be if you know what i mean. ATM im spending nearlly 4 hours a day walking them seperatly and i so wish i could walk them together on a coupler.

I need to make a descision on this fast -

A: take them both for the snip

B: get rid of one dog

C: muzzle them and keep them together

D keep them seperate, and continue as i am

Thanks in advance for any advice

They will still work with no bollocks. I'd let them together when I was there and warn them that if they do kick off what I will do is worse than what the other dog will, don't leave them alone together though. If they start to have a grumble at each other wade in and stop it before it gets bad. The worst i've seen for that kind of fighting were bitches.

They will still work with no bollocks. I'd let them together when I was there and warn them that if they do kick off what I will do is worse than what the other dog will, don't leave them alone together though. If they start to have a grumble at each other wade in and stop it before it gets bad. The worst i've seen for that kind of fighting were bitches.

I have to say ive never seen anything like it before, and i makes you realise just how strong these little dogs are, once then lock on each other they aint letting go for anything, i heard all the stories of buckets of water and kicking them in the bollocks, finger up the arse << i didnt do that 1 :D - pffft, not a thing will distract them.

I do get the warning growl as they sniff each others rear end, and then the fight....

Could it be that i can be the only alpha male or does the pack take 2nd place and 3rd place if you know what i mean, so its something that they have to get done to find out thier own position in the pack ?

i would personally not get them snipped mate beacuse if they porve their salt for you ie do brilliant you cannot breed and have a pup.but youre choice mate.dont think it effects their working ability though :hmm:

Edited by sniper
Oright mate give the river Alt a try up by Sefton church, seen loads around there, Ideal if you got a smoker? ;)

Also a landing net for when the little F....s make a break for it an try to swm to the other side,, good hunting.

Once upon a time..... when the tip was there, it was rat Mecca, drew folks in from all over the country.

You'd have more success around the shrubberys of your local McDonalds now.... ;)