.220 swift

I have had my .223 for six year and has severd me well

it is a cz 457 with a s/s jms over barrle mod 4x20x50 opti mate

chancing for

REM 220 swift modle 700 vs sf with a lei mod on the end 8x34x50

just got some land where the fox are scared

been out at sun up and one had one in the dark with a amber filter

one left worring sheep thought that a 220 swift would give me more range any advice

Edited by Disco

What sort of advice were you looking for?

The Swift is an old cartridge now, developed in the 30's I think. Has a reputation for a long reaching and hard hitting varmint cartridge. Used by a good few keepers in the Glens of Scotland to shoot long range foxes.

One of the faster cartridges around, and so has a reputation for being a barrel burner.

But it will knock foxes at great distances so I'm told, but then a .223 will take them at 350+ of you are capable of shooting at that distance.

SS :thumbs:

I have had my .223 for six year and has severd me well

it is a cz 457 with a s/s jms over barrle mod 4x20x50 opti mate

chancing for

REM 220 swift modle 700 vs sf with a lei mod on the end 8x34x50

just got some land where the fox are scared

been out at sun up and one had one in the dark with a amber filter

one left worring sheep thought that a 220 swift would give me more range any advice

Well ..on the whole they are a bit faster and hit a bit harder...but you don't need anything to hit harder than a .223 for fox, and a 40g ballistic tip .223 will give the trajectory of a swift anyway.

Oh... and the ammo will cost a fortune, be hard to find and not offer anything like the choice of the .223..like for like, yep, it will have the performance edge on the .223 but I'm not rushing out to buy one myself!!!!!!

the 220 swift is a firecracker of a cartridge the fastest of the .22 centrefires,will shoot much flatter than your 223 and kills very well , but it is very close in power to the 22-250 . the advantage of the 22-250 over the 220 swift is that barrels last longer and ammunition is available over the counter although not cheap..hope this helps...greasemonkey

the 220 swift is a firecracker of a cartridge the fastest of the .22 centrefires,will shoot much flatter than your 223 and kills very well , but it is very close in power to the 22-250 . the advantage of the 22-250 over the 220 swift is that barrels last longer and ammunition is available over the counter although not cheap..hope this helps...greasemonkey

.223 WSSM :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

i know of two people who have 220 swifts i have seen one of them shoot a fox at 450 yards

but he is a hell of a shooter and also he has had his rifle for over 15 years just put a new barrle on it

i think i am going to change to the 220 swift i will let you all know how it goes

thanks for your comments and adive

the cost of the rounds does not bother me as i do not shoot much more that 10 or 20 rounds a month thought my center fire rifle

thank you all

.223 WSSM :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

223 WSSM 3850fps......220 SWIFT 4110fps

the 22/250 is more veratile then the 220 swift. for a start in it will be better for a number of different loads.

there isnt much choice in rifles for 220 swift as 22/250 yes 223 will reach to those ranges but you got to no the drop

and be sure you can hit foxes at that range otherwise you mite as well not bother getting it.

i like 223 but i perfer the 22/250 its flater and needs less hold over.

which ever hits foxy it wont matter he wont be going anywhere :gunsmilie::whistling: