cruciate ligament

kib

my 4yr old ess injured his rear leg last saturday i noticed him limping when we got home, off to the vets monday morning and she suspects a damaged cruciate ligament, gave him pain killers and a antiflam injection and told to rest him and return in 1 week, was told if he needs surgery it could cost up to £3ooo, has anybody experienced this with there dog .did it heel in time or was surgery needed

my 4yr old ess injured his rear leg last saturday i noticed him limping when we got home, off to the vets monday morning and she suspects a damaged cruciate ligament, gave him pain killers and a antiflam injection and told to rest him and return in 1 week, was told if he needs surgery it could cost up to £3ooo, has anybody experienced this with there dog .did it heel in time or was surgery needed

Hello KIB,

I had a german pointer a couple of years ago with muscle problems in his back were told the same around 3000 surgery if needed. In our case physio, time, rest and tlc got my lad through. I know its a diff injury but it may help you. My pointer was insured wasn needed in the end but get it quick lad just in case. Hope all goes well with your dog

:hmm: That is a top of the range quote Kib,... :yes:

Perhaps,...take time out to seek the advice of another Vet.... :yes:

Repairs to Cruciate (in working dogs) are sometimes a bit hit and miss,.and the results difficult to predict :no:

Maybe do some serious research on the subject before going with the £3000 option....

All the best,..CHALKWARREN... :drink:

had a good springer dog who done a cruciate in leg, spend a fortune trying to get him right but had to give up as he was never the same again,

the dog was,nt content to be a pet roared the house down when i went hunting, had to make a tough choice when he started getting narky with

other dogs when not allowed to go hunting and finally had to put him to sleep, but every case is different get a second opnion and think it through

as 3 grand is a lot of money and would buy a good replacement dog

• 2 weeks later...

had a good springer dog who done a cruciate in leg, spend a fortune trying to get him right but had to give up as he was never the same again,

the dog was,nt content to be a pet roared the house down when i went hunting, had to make a tough choice when he started getting narky with

other dogs when not allowed to go hunting and finally had to put him to sleep, but every case is different get a second opnion and think it through

as 3 grand is a lot of money and would buy a good replacement dog

i had a cruciate repaired in a working hound about 6 months ago and shes as good as new now. Cost e £600 for op, and then there was 8 weeks contained rest and then gentle wlaking to build her back up. Id be looking at a new vet if mine charged me £3000!!!

Damage to a cruciate will not end your dogs working as along as you get it fixed, a cruciate is either snapped or it isnt, it cannot stretch the vet should be able to pick this up, i have had 3 lurchers snap cuciate ligaments and all were operated on and all were back running in 9mths, i'm lucky my vet has people from all over the uk comming to him for this operation mainly greyhounds, my last bill was £350 18 months ago. £3000 your vets having a laugh !

If you want to get in touch pm me

one of my rotts did both her cruciates the 2nd went about 6 months after the 1st one, there are a couple of different cruciate operations and the tplo way does normally cost appprox £2500 after 8 weeks crate rest and then taking it easy for a while she was completely back to normal. To watch her now 2 years on you would never know she had it done. Would definately sort out insurance now then return to a different vet.