starting out wanting to get first terrier

Guest hunterpoppy

depends what you want it for mate

if you want a earth dog a patterdale or lakeland

or if you want a bushing dog id go for a springer russell something with springer/cocker or beagle in it

but if you can find your self a good jack russell your laughing

but i think patterdales and lakeland are no good for bushing well i dont think i no they have no nose there just game to tell you the truth i wouldnt have one in my yard get your self a 3/4 jack russel 1/4 springer or beagle and you will have a gooden

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends if you want a dog with a face or not i got a bitch sent to me last year shes a 3/4 russel 1/4 springer and i can dig to her everyday of the week and you wouldnt even no shes bin out the kennel

if you want a sounder i wouldnt get a patterdale there a hardy dog they get destroyed i no a few old fellas in irland proper hunts men there dogs earn there kennell and they wouldnt even put a patterdale in there dog box and you get people saying they hunt cover you might get the odd one but they need a nose to hunt cover

i have a pup 2 pups comeing over here there mother is a springer/russell x bull/russell and the father is a beagle/russell x bull/russell

the parents are in irland and there doing the business above and below ground if your interested in a pup she should be the right one

good luck with finding a pup tho mate

Guest blackntan

or if you want a bushing dog id go for a springer russell something with springer/cocker or beagle in it

but i think patterdales and lakeland are no good for bushing well i dont think i no they have no nose there just game to tell you the truth i wouldnt have one in my yard get your self a 3/4 jack russel 1/4 springer or beagle and you will have a gooden

NO NOSE :icon_eek::laugh::laugh: PRAY TELL ME WHAT YOU KEEP IN THIS SERLECT YARD I CANT WAIT TO HEAR , AND FELLS WONT HUNT :laugh::laugh::thumbs:

NO NOSE :icon_eek::laugh::laugh: PRAY TELL ME WHAT YOU KEEP IN THIS SERLECT YARD I CANT WAIT TO HEAR , AND FELLS WONT HUNT :laugh::laugh::thumbs:

think what you want but deep down everyone nos there shit all they are is digging dogs all there good for is goin down a hole and getting smashed up and i can garentee no fell will keep with a springer cross or a beagle cross in cover theyd run em to the ground well you obviosly like fells as your name is black and tan them dogs couldnt find there way out of a kennell never mind finding something in cover and you have to keep kennelled on there own there useless a jak russell is ten times better than them come down to dungarvan in waterford and we will show you good dogs and ill give you a hammer to take back for them fells ill even sell you a dog if you only have fells cause i respect all hunting men and id like to see all hunting men have good dogs

to all hunters out there i respect you all for the sport ye do but everyone has there oppinions on dogs i just dont like fells dogs i think there there for one job and thats it

Guest blackntan

think what you want but deep down everyone nos there shit all they are is digging dogs all there good for is goin down a hole and getting smashed up and i can garentee no fell will keep with a springer cross or a beagle cross in cover theyd run em to the ground well you obviosly like fells as your name is black and tan them dogs couldnt find there way out of a kennell never mind finding something in cover and you have to keep kennelled on there own there useless a jak russell is ten times better than them come down to dungarvan in waterford and we will show you good dogs and ill give you a hammer to take back for them fells ill even sell you a dog if you only have fells cause i respect all hunting men and id like to see all hunting men have good dogs

to all hunters out there i respect you all for the sport ye do but everyone has there oppinions on dogs i just dont like fells dogs i think there there for one job and thats it

ALL THERE GOOD FOR IS GOING DOWN HOLES, :D THEY HAVE NO NOSE :laugh: AND EVERY ONE KNOWS THERE SHITE, :laugh: THE LAD SAID TERRIER , T .E.R.R.I.E.R NOT SPROCKER COCKER, OR MOCKER , OR WATERFORD SPANIEL, HE WANTS A TERRIER :yes::tongue2:

Not all fells/patterdales are hard , some might start that way but end up been sensible & some start the other way round . overall these dogs are very tenasious thats why they are popular dogs . ps these dogs have an exelent nose in my experience .

Guest blackntan
Not all fells/patterdales are hard , some might start that way but end up been sensible & some start the other way round . overall these dogs are very tenasious thats why they are popular dogs . ps these dogs have an exelent nose in my experience .
;)

out of all of this you can still get a good dog out of every breed,i have only ever owned one patterdale and it was no good so have stayed clear of them and stayed with lakelands and russells.having a hard dog can be handy at times but not in most situations!it is all judged on personnal experiences.

Guest blackntan
out of all of this you can still get a good dog out of every breed,i have only ever owned one patterdale and it was no good so have stayed clear of them and stayed with lakelands and russells.having a hard dog can be handy at times but not in most situations!it is all judged on personnal experiences.
ALL BLACK FELLS ARE NOT YOUR WORDS NOT MINE HARD, THEY SEEM TO HAVE A GREATER URGE TO MIX IT LETS SAY, IVE SEEN ALL TYPES MIX IT , AND STAY THERE SEEMS TO BE A ALL BLACK TYPES ARE ONLY CAPABLE OF EARTH WORK ISSUE , LIKE ANY STAIN OF TERRIER GIVE THEM EARTH WORK AND ONLY EARTH WORK AND THEY WILL ETHER EXCEL OR FAIL NONE ARE GUARANTEED ,I KNOW MEN WHO PREFER CHOCS , AS BEING GUTSY WHEN THE NEED ARISES , BUT GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD , THE LAD WANTED INFO ON A TERRIER TYPE , ANY TYPE OFF TRUE WORKING STOCK WOULD BE MY CHOICE IF YOU STAY IN TERRIERS YOU WILL FIND YOUR OWN FAVORITE TYPE , BUT IN THE MEAN TIME GOOD LUCK

didnt mean black n tan that all blacks are hard,just that having a hard dog in general can be handy at times but most of the time i want a dog i can work most weekends.this lad wanting advice just needs to find a good pup from a decent working strain to give you the best chance possible for it to work.hope fully he can find a bloke with some experiance to show him the ropes.any way mate best of luck with getting started,dont rush into the first pup you find take your time looking around.

patterdales are good alrounders not just digging dogs im not into digging i bush rabbits seen plenty of top hunting finding kill dogs brought on the right way i dont rate springers a cross yes not pure pats there good bushers .

im told donnyc breeds top digging dogs of this site try him mate good luck

all my cousin does is bushing and he has a bull patterdale best bushing terrier i have ever seen bushng and he has a pup off her to a a patterdale dog and she is coming on great taking after her mother

Edited by nbk