Failed attempt by a VET to PTS a whippet

I work for a vet and just have to say that putting an animal to sleep doesnt always go as planned, we need to get the Euthatal into a vein..in a sick animal this isnt always easy as often their blood pressure is very low and the vein (typically the front leg is used in dogs) keeps blowing. We will then often try the other front leg, or in some cases, if some Euthatal has gone in, an injection is put directly into the kidneys if the animal is semi-comatose. In cases where we cannot access a vein, we give a heavy sedative and then inject them into the kidneys..if the owner is present, this injection is subtely done whilst the owner is at the animals' head. In the case of most cats, because they will fight til the last breath, they are administered a heavy sedative and then euthanased via an injection to the kidneys as described above. Most animals are dead within the first 20 seconds. Rabbits and guinea pigs take longer to die as rabbits are injected into the main vein in the ear and guinea pigs into the heart/kidneys..sometimes if the 'target' is missed..they take up to 5mins to actually die..however they are in a deep coma and unaware.

Many euthanasias go well with the animal passing away quickly, however, for every 100 that go like that, 1 or 2 are very difficult.

Its not always the fault of the vet when they cannot get a vein..we are often working with a sick animal who has many other problems.

I cant imagine endorsing someone shooting your dog. :sick:

Edited by redmoor

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen hounds shot at the kennels, thats just the way, like if you have a cow suffering you can shoot it. Same with lamb. My dad used to shoot bad calves when he had a shotgun.

I have no doubt this happens..however i doubt most 'pet' owners or indeed many working owners would want their dog to be euthanased like this. :blink:

After what I experienced what my old bitch went through, I couldn't imagine "humanely" euthing an animal ever again. To each his own however.

Lets look at some basic figures ... on here, there are roughly 10,000 members, and probably half that (5,000) are active, posting members. Lets assume that in a 5 year period, each active member would have to put an animal down, or assist a close loved one in putting one of their pets down. Using your statistics of 1 or 2 "very difficult" euth'ing, that gives us between 50-100 "bad euth's just in our little test group. If you said 1 in 10,000 or million or some other figure, it would be one thing. But 1 or 2 out of 100? Not very good odds for a "good" euthanasia experience IMO.

After what I experienced what my old bitch went through, I couldn't imagine "humanely" euthing an animal ever again. To each his own however.

Lets look at some basic figures ... on here, there are roughly 10,000 members, and probably half that (5,000) are active, posting members. Lets assume that in a 5 year period, each active member would have to put an animal down, or assist a close loved one in putting one of their pets down. Using your statistics of 1 or 2 "very difficult" euth'ing, that gives us between 50-100 "bad euth's just in our little test group. If you said 1 in 10,000 or million or some other figure, it would be one thing. But 1 or 2 out of 100? Not very good odds for a "good" euthanasia experience IMO.

Even a 'difficult' euthanasia..ie one which a vein is not strong enough to take the Euthatal..the putting to sleep can still be done well within the boundaries of humanely with careful care from the vet. Its a fact of life that sick or very old dogs do not have sufficient blood pressure sometimes to use a vein. An animal in these circumstances given a sedative and euthanased via the heart or kidneys is not in my mind not humane. Shooting him in the head, in my honest opinon is not the way to go.

Hey ho..each to their own. :D

I have seen hounds shot at the kennels, thats just the way, like if you have a cow suffering you can shoot it. Same with lamb. My dad used to shoot bad calves when he had a shotgun.

I have no doubt this happens..however i doubt most 'pet' owners or indeed many working owners would want their dog to be euthanased like this. :blink:

what is wrong with a bullet, much quicker and painlesss than a needle

Guest little lurcher

after watching a little shetland of ours get up and struggle many times after being injected, and seeing the panic in her eyes after being injected i said id never go through that again , a total of almost 2hrs start to finish , thats sick imo , however i then had to have a heavy mare pts and the vet on call didnt have a gun licence and the knacker man was away i reluctantly agreed again to inject , that mare panicked and struggled and fear went through her again taking almost half hour for her to go , i was very distressed and emotionly wrecked watching , i had also released myself from hospital to go see her , this was an experience i will never go through again , the last 1 i had pts was shot , she whinnied as the ramp dropped thought she was going to a show , she took her final breath in my arms , she didnt go instantly , however this was a matter of seconds not mins , i certainly am having my old boy shot , he will be sedated then shot with me beside him

dogs i think should have the same respect , it is more distressing for the owners with a gun but much quicker and far more humane imo

My collie had cancer, his veins had collapsed- he went downhill really quick overnight. I didn't know he had cancer before my vet operated & the two weeks after the op he was a new dog. There's a lot I found out after but my vets were & still are fantastic

Anyway, I rang my vets at 7am, was told to take him straight through. She told me she wasnt going to try use his veins because they had collapsed. They gave him two different injections into his back leg. He did need a third direct into his heart. My vet explained that I didn't need to see that as it wasnt very nice. They gave him the o/d of muscle relexant & painkiller & then left us to have as long as we wanted with him. The injections took seconds, he never flinched & his breathing changed within seconds. I checked his pupils & they were totally glazed, maybe his hearing was the last to go we sat & talked to him while I tried to hold it together so he wouldn't know anything was wrong. The vets were known to him, I've always made a point of taking any new dog to the vets when they dont want anything done to avoid them been frightened. Even now I've one dog that opens the vet door & the other goes sits on the scales before going to see her 'aunty'.

Every experience is different, but I cant fault my vets.

I've just read on another forum how an undercover news reporter has uncovered a knackers yard putting healthy dogs down for £20, mainly greyhounds that can't/wont race. That makes me angry as they are healthy animals that are surplus to requirements. But I can totally understand that a gun is quicker than an injection when they are sick. Whether you hunt or not most people want whats the least amount of suffering for the animal be it horse, dog or whatever.