Kayak fishing.

Just picked this up and am very keen to get my van back from the garage so i can go on my maiden voyage.

Never really had a go in one but im sure it will open up all those inaccessible bits of rough Cornish coast that i just cant rock-hop to fish.

Im going to try it in the estuary first, where im thinking it will be a bit easier and less can go wrong??!!

Are there any basic rules to adhere to when kayaking? i think im covered from a saftey point of view but dont want to find out that iv overlooked something simple that can make the difference between a good relaxed outing and a nightmare.

post-12464-1222595487_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just picked this up and am very keen to get my van back from the garage so i can go on my maiden voyage.

Never really had a go in one but im sure it will open up all those inaccessible bits of rough Cornish coast that i just cant rock-hop to fish.

Im going to try it in the estuary first, where im thinking it will be a bit easier and less can go wrong??!!

Are there any basic rules to adhere to when kayaking? i think im covered from a saftey point of view but dont want to find out that iv overlooked something simple that can make the difference between a good relaxed outing and a nightmare.

post-12464-1222595614_thumb.jpg

Not so much kayak fishing but canadian canoe fishing but have had some good results from them,a little landing net helps when unhooking the fish,holds them in place for you.They do let you get to places boats can't go,was fishing off the pembrook coast and we were getting some good results.You do want to take a good little range of end tackle with you as your'll come across all sorts of marks,we were allways thinking of making up a keep net of sorts as when out on sunny days the catch can suffer but never got round to it.Large fish can tow you along for a bit and thats a mad feeling being towed by a bull huss.

Fished in a small out-rigger a few miles offshore,native-built,excellent experience but your boat looks state-of-the-art :victory: if I lived on the coast hell-yeah,kitted out with all the bells-and-whistles :D I would be very interested to see your results,you could carry a 100 yard gill-net out if thats your thing :D The cornish coast looks ideal,I saw Ed Schliffke rock-hopping for bass on DVD,rough-ground fishing,you can reach the inaccessible places in your kayak ;) Isnt there a UK website dedicated to kayak fishing around our coastline?

Fished in a small out-rigger a few miles offshore,native-built,excellent experience but your boat looks state-of-the-art :victory: if I lived on the coast hell-yeah,kitted out with all the bells-and-whistles :D I would be very interested to see your results,you could carry a 100 yard gill-net out if thats your thing :D The cornish coast looks ideal,I saw Ed Schliffke rock-hopping for bass on DVD,rough-ground fishing,you can reach the inaccessible places in your kayak ;) Isnt there a UK website dedicated to kayak fishing around our coastline?

Gill netting was not top of the idea list, i was thinking more along the lines of trolling a couple of lures around on the two out-rigging rods and perhaps flicking the odd lure in to some interesting gullies and such. I did think it might be good to have a small anchor in the cubby hole, just incase i wanted to drop a lump of bait on the bottom for a bit.

Iv not looked on any kayak web sites to be honest, i was attacking it in a bit of a renegade style and taking my small bit of coast line and inshore fishing knowledge and having a go at something i have never done :hmm:

I do have a very basic bottom of the range fish finder that iv never used, but thought i might try it off the kayak just to see what its like really. I suppose that if it shows depth and features to a degree then it can only help, though at £30 i cant see it being a beauty!!

It was £475 as it sits Makem, and i will post up a bit of progress ( be it good or bad progression) :good:

if you haven't done any kayaking before i would leave your tackle in the van first time out and get yourself accustomed to your boat in a bit of choppy water. dont over estimate your own strenth and staminer as most new starters do and the sea takes no prisoners.

if you haven't done any kayaking before i would leave your tackle in the van first time out and get yourself accustomed to your boat in a bit of choppy water. dont over estimate your own strenth and staminer as most new starters do and the sea takes no prisoners.

Yeah that was the plan, i dont want to much to think about on the first trip. All im after doing is sussing basic paddling and handling to start with, rods will be straight out after that though.

i have a similar canoe, not fished from it here but i have in africa - great fun! Word of warning though, the wind pushes them around like crazy and its easy to exhaust yourself so be careful! Does yours have skegs fitted?

i have a similar canoe, not fished from it here but i have in africa - great fun! Word of warning though, the wind pushes them around like crazy and its easy to exhaust yourself so be careful! Does yours have skegs fitted?

No it does'nt, i was planning to carry a small drogue to slow the drifts down a bit if needs be.

I've used ny old kyak up here in Plymouth mate.

Great fun and great for getting to inaccessible places up river for mullet.

The only thing I've found is that you have to have everything closea at hand including bait,knife and tackle.