HEMP RABBITING NETS

Guest sparky

They are tapered to skimp on materials. Buy or knit full sized nets. You'll still have the odd rabbit escape, so full nets are better.

If you layout the two types of net side by side and open them out into a circle you will see the nets cover exactly the same area. only differance is you will have 4 small triangles, one at each corner doing nothing, the meshs will be closed and seving no purpose.

Now if your saying the un-shaped nets dont suit you then thats a differant matter, but to say one is better than the other doesnt make sence. just my opinion of course.

Hi mole catcher, I know that if you lay them flat they cover the same area, it would be impossible for them not to however if the rabbit hits close to an end ring in an ordinary net it hits slack that can engulf it. I like that extra bit. I do admit that the tapered nets are easier to cast on and off the rings, but though I made a few, unless I'm struggling for nets, they stay in the bag till last. Non tapered nets have more slack and unlike some things, the slacker the better for me.

I think mole catcher is best off with moles, people make shaped nets cause theyre tight, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to work out the more twine the better. make the nets 18-20 x 2" meshes wide and 21 meshes deep. nout much will escape. dont take any notice of any muppets that may say about "the net only needs to cover the hole" as theres a fair difference between a pop hole and a main entrance and yet the rabbit that uses either is the same size!

I have always used shaped nets, yes rabbits do get out of them. BUT, when they do I blame myself not the net. Whats that saying? A bad workman always blames his tools :whistling:

I have seen photos of nets laid over holes, and had that person who laid them been out with me he would have been told to pick them all up and set them properly. 99 times out of a 100 if a rabbit has got past a net it is because the net was not set correctly for that hole. Each hole has a path to it if the netter can see it or not. Sometimes it is not even at the centre of the hole but to one side or other, if a net is set so that the bolting rabbit will hit the center of the net them most nets regardless of shape will purse correctly.

Tiercel

I have always used shaped nets, yes rabbits do get out of them. BUT, when they do I blame myself not the net. Whats that saying? A bad workman always blames his tools :whistling:

I have seen photos of nets laid over holes, and had that person who laid them been out with me he would have been told to pick them all up and set them properly. 99 times out of a 100 if a rabbit has got past a net it is because the net was not set correctly for that hole. Each hole has a path to it if the netter can see it or not. Sometimes it is not even at the centre of the hole but to one side or other, if a net is set so that the bolting rabbit will hit the center of the net them most nets regardless of shape will purse correctly.

Tiercel

yeh a net will purse but if its to small it wont, same with longnets mate, if the bagging aint there it dont work.

They are tapered to skimp on materials. Buy or knit full sized nets. You'll still have the odd rabbit escape, so full nets are better.

If you layout the two types of net side by side and open them out into a circle you will see the nets cover exactly the same area. only differance is you will have 4 small triangles, one at each corner doing nothing, the meshs will be closed and seving no purpose.

Now if your saying the un-shaped nets dont suit you then thats a differant matter, but to say one is better than the other doesnt make sence. just my opinion of course.

Hi mole catcher, I know that if you lay them flat they cover the same area, it would be impossible for them not to however if the rabbit hits close to an end ring in an ordinary net it hits slack that can engulf it. I like that extra bit. I do admit that the tapered nets are easier to cast on and off the rings, but though I made a few, unless I'm struggling for nets, they stay in the bag till last. Non tapered nets have more slack and unlike some things, the slacker the better for me.

I think mole catcher is best off with moles, people make shaped nets cause theyre tight, you dont need to be a rocket scientist to work out the more twine the better. make the nets 18-20 x 2" meshes wide and 21 meshes deep. nout much will escape. dont take any notice of any muppets that may say about "the net only needs to cover the hole" as theres a fair difference between a pop hole and a main entrance and yet the rabbit that uses either is the same size!

You carry on making your nets , and the majority of the rest of us muppets will carry on making our shaped nets and still catch rabbits. :thumbs:

DSCF0276.jpg

yeh a net will purse but if its to small it wont, same with longnets mate, if the bagging aint there it dont work.

Sir,

You might like to amend that statement as purse nets work on an entirely different principle to long nets. The two cannot be compared.

Tiercel.

Edited by tiercel
As you can see shaped nets do work well but as someone else said there are shaped nets and shaped nets its not all about saving on twine .

Wise words :notworthy: I skimp on materials around the rings and put it into the middle of the net. REASON I've yet to see or know anyone thats ever caught a rabbit with its head through the 1st row of mesh next to the ring

Y.I.S Leeview