• REALTREE ADVANTAGE MAX-1 HD
    • REALTREE APG HD
    • REALTREE ADVANTAGE CLASSIC
    • DPM ARMY SURPLUS (poor mans camo) ;)
    • REALLTREE ADVANTAGE WETLANDS
    • REALTREE ADVANTAGE TIMBER HD
    • REALTREE HARDWOODS HD
    • REALTREE HARDWOODS HD

The amount of times I have been out In a navy t shirt and dark trousers and still had a good trip Is unreal. I could fill a wardrobe and more with the DPM I have and I even have a few realtree, mossy oak garments. Don't think I'm saying cammo Is not relivent as It Is - as Timelord says needing to break up your outline but IMO slow movement and good field craft Is more important.

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: Well said! :thumbs:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Realtree was a good as it's price suggests, surely the Army would use it?

Because if camo don't work too well in hunting it merely reduces the bag, if it don't work for the Army some poor bugger gets killed.

Agreed mate but you must remember that animals see different wavlengths of light compared to us humans, so breaking up your outline is crusial to stalking your quarry.

And wavelength of light is irrelevent to choice of camo. Animals that 'see' IR are going to 'see' you irrespective of your camo patten.

Because if camo don't work too well in hunting it merely reduces the bag, if it don't work for the Army some poor bugger gets killed.

Agreed mate but you must remember that animals see different wavlengths of light compared to us humans, so breaking up your outline is crusial to stalking your quarry.

And wavelength of light is irrelevent to choice of camo. Animals that 'see' IR are going to 'see' you irrespective of your camo patten.

I think you'll find it's UV ultra violet not IR infra red that animals see ;)

The amount of times I have been out In a navy t shirt and dark trousers and still had a good trip Is unreal. I could fill a wardrobe and more with the DPM I have and I even have a few realtree, mossy oak garments. Don't think I'm saying cammo Is not relivent as It Is - as Timelord says needing to break up your outline but IMO slow movement and good field craft Is more important.

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: Well said! :thumbs:

I agree also I've been hunting with air rifles from the age of seven I was allowed to shoot my first shotgun at 10 years old. The ol' boys that taught me used jeans and t-shirts etc and being fishermen they wore green and blue colors (not to bright in the UV spectrum for animals LOL!). I learned a hell of a lot of field craft from them & past down info from all the generations. I spent 10 years in the special forces and all we did was hunt men, now animals are a smarter than men when you hunt them. It's genetically inbuilt into them to BEWARE OF MAN, whereas man is comparitably stupid compared to the animals. We talk about respecting our quarry on a kill, but we must respect their intelligence and dillegence when we hunt them. They see us coming from miles away and whilst I was sniping in the forces it was always an animal that gave the enemies position away before he did.

IE the wood pigeon would clap it's wings or the crow would call the alarm bells etc etc, thus giving the game up to a trained soldier. My feeling is that the more you can do with Camo the better it is for you to stalk your quarry. Now DPM is very good (I completely agree) but giving yourself any further advantages with modern TECH CAMO must have some advantage, keeping in mind that the enemy in DPM was given up all the time (or most of the time) by the animals.

Since I've worn Realtree and Jack Pyke Camo I've been able to get closer to my prey (VERMIN)....

i'v alway's wore DPM and always will. as someone already said no matter were you shoot in the uk ,any time of year it fit's in. except when the field's and wood's have a good layer of snow. then i wear a white boiler suit. like what painter and decoraters use. i'v got rediculously close to all quarry in it . i'v been sat back to a tree in DPM and had squirrel's come to close [ touching distance] for a shot. when i wash my cammies..maybe once in a blue moon :icon_eek: i never use washing powder .just water. i guess a big part of shooting ,cammies ect is in your head . if you think real tree ect. will help you hunt better . then go for it. me i'l rely on DPM and good fielcraft.. :gunsmilie: but like all thing's it's a personel choice.. :victory:

I think you'll find that insects (eg bees) tend to see IV, and snakes (like rattlers) see IR.

I still don't see the relevence of wavelength to breaking up one's outline.

I think you'll find that insects (eg bees) tend to see IV, and snakes (like rattlers) see IR.

I still don't see the relevence of wavelength to breaking up one's outline.

Snake's don't 'see' IR as such, (well not with their eyes anyway! :laugh:) they sense it with the infra-red pit's between their eye's & the nostrils: Infrared sensing in snakes

Birds can see light in the wavelength of UV, because the avian eye has an extra receptor, 4 instead of the 3 that humans have, and as primates, we can see more wavelengths than any other mammals, because all other mammals only have two receptors in each eye.

The amount of times I have been out In a navy t shirt and dark trousers and still had a good trip Is unreal. but IMO slow movement and good field craft Is more important.

:yes: Spot on maty j, nothing can compensate you for having poor fieldcraft. Don't know how many shooters i've seen that haven't a clue about fieldcraft,they go and spend a small fortune on "the best" camoflauge gear then wonder why they can't get near enough anything to shoot it. :doh:

Not saying the right gear doesn't help, I believe it does. But good fieldcraft is more important. :thumbs:

the army generally buy the kit from the cheapest bidder.

DPM works and is the cheapest to buy

Modern patterns also work in the right environment but are much more expensive, hence the army doesn't use it