I'm not sure what excuse they give now but the original reason for making anti-biotics prescription only was because it was found beef containing penicillan when eaten by humans gave us a tolerence to penicillan. Hence when we became sick anti-biotics didn't work on our own bodies.

It was common for farmers to boost a sickly beast with penicillan to get a better price for slaughter.

This doesn't happen now but it's the cause of the restriction.

In order for vets to be able to prescribe a treatment, the animal must "be under our care"; it further specifies that this must not be nominal - we've got to have knowledge of the animal or farm recently. Thats why you can't just ask your vet for a prescription - you can ask for one after the animals been looked at, or talked about (it depends what sort of working relationship you've got with the vet).

The stuff available online without a prescription is likely to a bona-fide treatment, just not one licenced in the UK - you might get Australian penicillin, or American baytril. They're probable going to work just the same - unless theres been a major cock up in the storage of them, BUT, there will be no come-back to the drug company if it doesn't work,or you get an adverse reaction. The fact that it's not UK licenced means that it's an offence to import it and use it in the UK. The online sites get round this with a little disclaimer saying that the treatments available may be illegal to use in some countries!

As of 31st October, vets will be allowed to make a charge for any prescription. It's not meant to be a deterrant to folk asking for one, rather to cover the time spent.

I'm not against writing prescriptions, or being asked for one - I'm just putting across a different viewpoint

Jim

Edited by jim tait

The reason that bacteria are developing resistance to antibiotics is they are used to commonly and not required + that courses aren't being completed or improper doses are given. This leads to some bacteria surviving which in time through the process of survival of the fitest leads to resistant strains. Prescriptions are supposed to mean that only those with the knowledge to prescribe the right dose at an appropriate time can do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked on this site, emailed them twice about eurocillin. But they havn't replied.

Are they genuine have you dealt with them before?

Has anyone had inj antibiotics from this company? or know where else you can get it from?

They dont list shipping costs or even where they are from.

The problem now is that you can't buy it over the counter any more in UK. What do you do??????????

Help !!!!! :angry:

hi, if you had any problems to contact us, please accept our apologizes.

I've been waiting for three weeks now for an order, no reply to my emails chasing it up and I'm beginning to feel ripped off. My advice is DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH VETORDER.COM

Edited by Lost Generation

I looked on this site, emailed them twice about eurocillin. But they havn't replied.

Are they genuine have you dealt with them before?

Has anyone had inj antibiotics from this company? or know where else you can get it from?

They dont list shipping costs or even where they are from.

The problem now is that you can't buy it over the counter any more in UK. What do you do??????????

Help !!!!! :angry:

hi, if you had any problems to contact us, please accept our apologizes.

I've been waiting for three weeks now for an order, no reply to my emails chasing it up and I'm beginning to feel ripped off. My advice is DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH VETORDER.COM

I raised a dispute with them through PayPal and have just got my money back............phew!