ferret finders how to work them

hi all ive been ferreting for years but after almost losing a very good working ferret i bought a mk3 deben ferret finder but having bit of problem working them anybody maybe explain how to work them sorry if this has been asked before or sounds thick all help would be great

USING THE FERRET FINDER

PinPointer - The PinPointer control (rear knob) limits the sound 'pips' to a position close to the transmitting collar. The LED display indicates distance which does not vary with use of the PinPointer sound control.

Search Mode - When a signal from the transmitter is recieved the reciever emits 'pips'. The pitch of these pips increases if you point the reciever towards the transmitter, and goes higher still as you get closer to it.

To start the search, switch to the 'S' (search) range and move over the likely area until you hear the pips. if the pitch starts to go down ratcher than up, stop where you are and wave the reciever left and right and up and down until you find the highest pitch, then move in that direction.

When you have the best horizontal direction by moving it left and right, rotate the receiver to point at the ground and move around to obtain the highest pitch. With a bit of practice you will be able to place the reciever directly above the animal underground.

The PinPointer sound control improves accurate location.

On the 'S' (search) scale the receiver will detect the transmitter up to about 16 feet away. The LED display gives you an idea of how far away you are.

Locate Mode - When the distance drops below 8 feet, switch to the 'L' (locate) scale for precise location.

When you are directly above the transmitter the LED display shows how far away the transmitter is. The '8-0.5' scale will show distance to withis 6 inches of the transmitter. This reading can be affected slightly by the presence of metal (& MOBILE PHONES!!!), by local interference and by the nature of the soil, so the distances indicated should be taken as a guide.

IMPORTANT: The scales are a guide for distance and can vary according to soil and battery conditions.

hope this has helped from the instructions themselves :thumbs:

hi all ive been ferreting for years but after almost losing a very good working ferret i bought a mk3 deben ferret finder but having bit of problem working them anybody maybe explain how to work them sorry if this has been asked before or sounds thick all help would be great

USING THE FERRET FINDER

PinPointer - The PinPointer control (rear knob) limits the sound 'pips' to a position close to the transmitting collar. The LED display indicates distance which does not vary with use of the PinPointer sound control.

Search Mode - When a signal from the transmitter is recieved the reciever emits 'pips'. The pitch of these pips increases if you point the reciever towards the transmitter, and goes higher still as you get closer to it.

To start the search, switch to the 'S' (search) range and move over the likely area until you hear the pips. if the pitch starts to go down ratcher than up, stop where you are and wave the reciever left and right and up and down until you find the highest pitch, then move in that direction.

When you have the best horizontal direction by moving it left and right, rotate the receiver to point at the ground and move around to obtain the highest pitch. With a bit of practice you will be able to place the reciever directly above the animal underground.

On the 'S' (search) scale the receiver will detect the transmitter up to about 16 feet away. The LED display gives you an idea of how far away you are.

Locate Mode - When the distance drops below 8 feet, switch to the 'L' (locate) scale for precise location.

When you are directly above the transmitter the LED display shows how far away the transmitter is. The '8-0.5' scale will show distance to withis 6 inches of the transmitter. This reading can be affected slightly by the presence of metal (& MOBILE PHONES!!!), by local interference and by the nature of the soil, so the distances indicated should be taken as a guide.

IMPORTANT: The scales are a guide for distance and can vary according to soil and battery conditions.

thank you for taking time to put them up

USING THE FERRET FINDER

:clapper::clapper::clapper: Good reply!

assuming you,ve got a battery in the locature and you've turned it on, if you are not getting a signal try turning the batteries around the other way in the ferret collar. If that is no help give more details of the problem

you cant put the batteries in the wrong way around in a mk3 collar, well you could but it wont close together, they fit one way only...

going back to the pin point control on the back, its more than just a volume control

first off though, get some electrical tape and stick it over the speaker holes, trust me, if you dont reduce the whinning bleps coming from it, you'll feel like captain kirk with a fazer gun :laugh:

whilst in search mode, your getting the bleeps, turn the pinpoint control knob, so the bleeps on just disappear, now take a step forward,left,right,back, you'll only hear bleeps when going towards the collar, each couple of steps taken towards collar, or to higher bleeps and lower reading, again turn the knob to silent the bleeps, this way, you'll only hear bleeps when going in the right direction, leaving it set in one position can cause confussion

assuming you,ve got a battery in the locature and you've turned it on, if you are not getting a signal try turning the batteries around the other way in the ferret collar. If that is no help give more details of the problem

you cant put the batteries in the wrong way around in a mk3 collar, well you could but it wont close together, they fit one way only...

going back to the pin point control on the back, its more than just a volume control

first off though, get some electrical tape and stick it over the speaker holes, trust me, if you dont reduce the whinning bleps coming from it, you'll feel like captain kirk with a fazer gun :laugh:

whilst in search mode, your getting the bleeps, turn the pinpoint control knob, so the bleeps on just disappear, now take a step forward,left,right,back, you'll only hear bleeps when going towards the collar, each couple of steps taken towards collar, or to higher bleeps and lower reading, again turn the knob to silent the bleeps, this way, you'll only hear bleeps when going in the right direction, leaving it set in one position can cause confussion

just shows how different people use them differently, mines kept in the same place constantly and i prefer it that way, each to there own though :victory:

Edited by ferretingkid
just shows how different people use them differently, mines kept in the same place constantly and i prefer it that way, each to there own though :victory:

I too left it where is when I first got the mk3, its eassiest to use that way, but why have it there and not use it, once I started using it, the usability of the mk3, went upto 100% in my book,

I too left it where is when I first got the mk3, its eassiest to use that way, but why have it there and not use it, once I started using it, the usability of the mk3, went upto 100% in my book,

I dont hav a button on the back of mine ;(

i'll give it a bash on my next outing