what is a proper foxing dog?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/s...ke/Image125.jpg

one of my current dogs who is coming up to his 3rd season therfore coming up 4years old

he is a bloody good dog yet all i would say is i trust him.. i wouldnt shout from the roof tops that he is the best thing since sliced bread,,,he suits me/i like him/and i trust the dogs work.

he is not run on foxes this time of year as they are too easy..

all im gona say now is the most important thing a good dog needs is a good owner!!!

an everyone should agree with that......

nice dog there spider !!! Did the dog run into bramble bushes ? :icon_redface: Bulls dont get bit and kill in a minute lol lol :clapper:

I've commented on this pic before spiderpig looks the part he does...if only he had learned to go for the chest he'd be a far prettier dog mate

well uyou get them :clapper::notworthy::notworthy:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First and foremost the dog has to be fast plus clever enough to course and catch the fox, has to jump like a roe any fence I tell it to before even seeing the quarry on the understaning I wouldnt tell it to if there was nothing to run on the other side. Then the dog has to run down the beam no question as we all should know sometimes raynard is not even visible until he turns to have a look back and his eyes reflect the light of the beam.

Scars mean absolutely feck all they just mean the dog takes a lot of punishment! sometimes without any need, meaning it has not got the knack to kill only fight with them without the brains or ability to finish the job its meant to!

Couple of things I disagree with you here....Scars...to me they do mean something, they tell me that the dog has seen the buisness end of a fox and a well marked face is indication that it has done this on several occasions....I've yet to see a dog that is unmarked thats any good on charlie. The other thing I was wondering is why you would send a dog down the beam if you havn't seen anything first. :icon_eek:

cant belive im getting in to this,..i run colli x and bull x,its my experiance that my collies take less time to kill and develope a knack for not gettig bit,my bull x hits,holds and shakes,no matter where he gets hold he rarely changes his grip,he is oblivious to bites therefor happily takes more stick,whatever he hits is dead on the whole mind,seem the differance between brains and brawn :drag:

never been into foxing ...but if your running a dog on any quarry it should be able to do it single handed .....mono on mono........doubling up is for girls... :whistling: ....and not very good dogs..... :victory:

What is mono on mono?....and its ok to double up if your female? :angel:

mono on mono = one on one... :victory: ...and its ok to double on your females... :whistling: maybe i shouldnt of commented on this thread with me not being a foxing man....but i would of thought if you were a foxing man you would like to have a dog that can do it on its own ,,,,,not doubled up....surley a dog that can do it on its own is twice as good as a dog that needs help in doing the job...just my opinion,,,,,

And a very good opinion at that!

Aye we all like to see our dogs doing single handed but how many of you in here are guilty of running doubled up?....and theres a lot of guff spoken about sport V's pest control its all the same to me....there will be a lot of dogs free to good homes after this thread....lmao

some people wont keep a dog if it cant do the job on its own .....but if sombody has a dog that sorts them with another and they are happy then good for them ....if i bought a dog for a spercific quarry ..e.g. hare and it couldnt sort them itself it would be gone .....and if i bought a dog for foxing and it couldnt do them on its own that also would be down the road,,,,,we all have diffrent standards ......but at the end off the day ..if you are happy with what you got then who cares about what anybody else thinks....but people who have dogs. foxing dogs that can only sort them doubled up then imop they should not be bred from or sold as fox dogs ..because it aint a fox dog if it cant do them on its own ...just like a hare dog aint a hare dog if it cant do them on its own on a regular basis...,,,,...jmop....

That the problem you sound like you have never brought a pup on!!! oh what you are missing !! you like to buy ,,dislike and sell on other mans problems .. if people had decent dog why would they sell ?? unless its a friends act but then that mans name is now on the line waiting to be proven !!! :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: i take it you are in it for the blood :thumbdown:

i have said what i consider to be a proper foxing dog as the initial post asked. this is my opinion and i stand by it. if anyone disagrees with that its fine thats there opinion i have my standards they have theirs. i said what i think i did not say im an expert or anything else or im right or their wrong just an opinion no need for anyone to spit the dummy.

Aye you were asked for an opinion on what makes a fox dog....not my dog's bigger or better than yours type thread! making sweeping statements just loses you credability imo. :icon_eek:

never been into foxing ...but if your running a dog on any quarry it should be able to do it single handed .....mono on mono........doubling up is for girls... :whistling: ....and not very good dogs..... :victory:

What is mono on mono?....and its ok to double up if your female? :angel:

mono on mono = one on one... :victory: ...and its ok to double on your females... :whistling: maybe i shouldnt of commented on this thread with me not being a foxing man....but i would of thought if you were a foxing man you would like to have a dog that can do it on its own ,,,,,not doubled up....surley a dog that can do it on its own is twice as good as a dog that needs help in doing the job...just my opinion,,,,,

so they dont double up on hares then when ive watched coursing im sure theres two dogs running???

i have said what i consider to be a proper foxing dog as the initial post asked. this is my opinion and i stand by it. if anyone disagrees with that its fine thats there opinion i have my standards they have theirs. i said what i think i did not say im an expert or anything else or im right or their wrong just an opinion no need for anyone to spit the dummy.

Aye you were asked for an opinion on what makes a fox dog....not my dog's bigger or better than yours type thread! making sweeping statements just loses you credability imo. :icon_eek:

i said what i think makes a fox dog. what i think what i think???? and my dog is my dog and what anyone else on here thinks, with the exception of a select few is of little consequence to me. i did not post to gain credibility i put my opinion. if that annoys anyone sorry but im not a people pleaser, i say what i think at least you know its genuine and not about trying to impress anyone. some people are easy pleased im not one of those people i put 100% into my dogs and they give me 100% in return thats all the matters iwish i had never even posted at all. im done here its september good luck to all you boys hunting your dogs at fox as long as your happy with what they do that all matters.

Yeah but then you go on to qualify your statement by making a daft comment about dogs being inferior to yours because they go for the throat and not the chest....anyways had enough of this :bye::bye:

i said what i think makes a fox dog. what i think what i think???? and my dog is my dog and what anyone else on here thinks, with the exception of a select few is of little consequence to me. i did not post to gain credibility i put my opinion. if that annoys anyone sorry but im not a people pleaser, i say what i think at least you know its genuine and not about trying to impress anyone. some people are easy pleased im not one of those people i put 100% into my dogs and they give me 100% in return thats all the matters iwish i had never even posted at all. im done here its september good luck to all you boys hunting your dogs at fox as long as your happy with what they do that all matters.

Yeah but then you go on to qualify your statement by making a daft comment about dogs being inferior to yours because they go for the throat and not the chest....anyways had enough of this :bye::bye:

dogs that kill by the chest are better than dogs that kill by the throat. i said i stand by it its my standard and if you or anyone else doesnt agree thats your perogative.

what a prick! how can you justify a statement like that :blink: its like saying coursing greyhounds are better hare killers than Saluki crosses,they both kill hares!!!! :doh:

no need to get personal with the man for giving his opinion right or wrong its his opinion.were all adults i think :whistling: so theres no need for name calling.its like a pack of pirhanas ffs.

i have seen dogs that kill them by the throat and by the chest and the chest seemed a lot quicker imo but whatever the style of any dog the main thing is its done quick and humane :thumbs:

but as its banned in england i can only reminiss of days gone bye :angry:

Edited by tod

iv seen alot of foxes die, alot of different ways with alot of different breeds and heaps of different dogs iv found the best way to kill a fox is with five dogs. but the fastest way to kill a fox is grab it under the cheast like the fox is on it's back the crush the ribs in. its also not good for the dogs can easily lose an eye, safest way for the dogs is by the throat it just takes longer and iv got the time

iv found the best way to kill a fox is with five dogs.

I had a good laugh reading that cheers.

sorry mate but 5dogs haha you must be kidding why in the world would you use 5 dogs on 1 fox that to me isint sport what does that prove for your dog's. if you think you 5 dogs are good on 1 fox then your useing the wrong dog's imo

thought that would get a response, mate iv had as many as 15 runners and five terriers on a fox and got photos, we hunt differently to you we hunt at day in drives and when one dog starts running they all do and we get big numbers, mate id happily put any dog of ours agianst anyone of yours out find, out catch and kill faster, day or night in any terrian. thats what i hate alot about this most of you blokes seem only to have owned half a dozen dogs at the most and have only watched that many hunt agian so how can you really make a descion on such limited knowledge? 30 foxes in a year is nothing iv never kept records but people i hunt with have and 300 foxes is a average amount, im not braging it's just what it's like and there are a few dogs and poeple needed to get goods numbers 30 foxes is still good for one dog but not impressive not having a go at who ever siad that. the difference between me and you is im Not out to prove anything you must be really insecure just to mention that on an open forum. most of the spotlighting i do is doubled up on foxes saves energy and injuryies and it's alot more fun watching two dogs compete to catch the fox then missing every second fox

i find it interesing to see different breeds work, have seen foxes killed by several mates bull x impressively, i've never had a bull x but have had deerhound x and wheaton x and they do it in a different way but still good. whip