Hi

I'm not exactly a new member but have not posted before. It's a great forum with loads of interesting information.

I am a keen air rifileist and it helped me sort out a rat problem a little while ago. This was the first time I'd used a gun to hunt and I must say it was very enjoyable. This was just in my back garden but still required sorting out where they were going and then luring them out to be shot (fieldcraft LOL more like gardencraft). I came across this site trying to find info on snaring and trapping etc. of which there is tons! That really helped me sort out the problem indoors and the gun was perfect outdoors to keep them at bay (guard your perimeters!).

Since then I've wanted to try hunting for more palatable game (and to help people get rid of rats if people want/need it) but I used to live in a mostly urban area and there was not much call for it (or taste for it to be honest).

I've now moved to a village in Gloucestershire (where my wife grew up) and there's loads of small holdings etc. around, which I'm thinking of approaching to see if they mind me taking a few rabbits or clearing out the rats, but I'm a bit wary as I've not got any experience except for the above.

My father in law hunts, more with shotguns for pigeons etc. for some of the local farmers and he takes me claying once in a while, which is great fun, but I prefer the air rifle. I enjoy target shooting in the back garden. I will see if he minds me coming to one of his permissions to get some experience before I approach farmers etc.

Anyway, that's me, a latent hunter, townie (who never liked towns) is now out in the country and looking to bring home something for tea (or simply to destroy some rats, as they are vile creatures whose persistance and cunning I will forever respect but not tolerate).

Thanks to the forum regulars for all the advice on traps (have you seen the sticky on how to upgrade a snap trap, fantastic).

sminky

• 2 weeks later...