Can they start work soon...

As you all know I've got to cracking jills from Morgo. They are 16 weeks old at the moment was thinking of starting them last week in September maybe October. Could I start them at the start of September or is this to soon?

Just dying to get out and work them.

Guest AngelicAcid

Take them out and let them sniff about, and get the feel of things. Let them taste a fresh rabbit, if you take them out in about 8 weeks theyll be just under 6 months old, give them a try on a small warren.

They are fed rabbit so they know what they are. As for letting them out I let them out every now and again in the garden they dissapear I don't know where to and 10 mins later they come back usually for food.

all i can advise is to just try them

at that age they will either go straight down

or like my new jill she just wont

if they dont ....dont give up try sending her down after another ferret

they soon get the hang of things

ive never owned a ferret that hasnt worked well

atb paul

Guest AngelicAcid

Dont force them, they normally follow another more experienced ferret down, if you dont think they are ready then just take them along to get the feel of been in the box etc sights sounds smells. :victory: .

Guest ferretlad

I never work my young kits till they have grown up a bit and reached about 9/10 months something my Grandfather did and i have just followed suit, no other reason. I dont see a reason not to work them younger as they would have to hunt for them self's at about 6/8 weeks old in the wild.

As you all know I've got to cracking jills from Morgo. They are 16 weeks old at the moment was thinking of starting them last week in September maybe October. Could I start them at the start of September or is this to soon?

Just dying to get out and work them.

hi rhodey

imo dont take them out till end sept to mid oct i now you want to get out but if you wait things will be better and only put them down small warrens 2/4 holes max but dont expect to much to start with just put them down on floor side of hole and see what they do if they go down so be it dont force them when they get there first bolt your away but still stick to 2/4 for a while you will know when to start bigger warrens

hope this helped you and good hunting

cjw