which gun dog ?

Guest click03

If you were too hard on my gwp, she would just crumble. Great working dogs but, like all dog training, you have to be consistent. I've not had any more trouble training my gwps than I have my springers. Now, pointers, don't go there lol.

There are a number of hpr's out there if you want to go down that route but if you are novice, I would be tempted to go with a lab. A gwp was my second dog and he was hard work, but only because of my inexperience.

Helen

bloke here looking for one too.

Bushcraft

infant

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:32 pm Post subject: good alrounder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking to get a new breed of dog, i need a good alrounder for sproting, tracking & retreval . I dont need a yapper, a pest, justa good sensible medium size dog or bitch.

Whats the preferences ?

Prefence to a good pedigree

Edited by markbivvy

your asking to much from yourself training and the dog learning decide on what type of hunting you do most then pick dog to suit add other disciplines after you and the dog have masterd one.In my experience you will end up with a confused dog thats good for nowt if you try to do to much to soon, as you have said its a long time since you had a dog.

How about the Clumber.

Take the look at the working breed and not the show ones.

I have one And his turning out to be a real steady dog.

And his just soft with kids.

His not as springy as my Springer when flushing out . But he can can go though the undergrowth like the tank.

Where the other dogs just sit there and think. yeah right if you want me to go though that you got to be kidding :rolleyes:

When it comes to retrieving His just the star.

Yes they are slower then the other breeds .But we have found he will bring up the birds that the other dogs in their haste have left behind.

Now for the bad points. Really he has none apart from his thick coat that need basically round the clock grooming :blink:

If anything was to happen to any of my dogs .We have both said we would replace them with the other Clumber.

Mind you i would loved to have the Munsterlander too.

xxxxSuzy

• 3 weeks later...

The above mentioned dogs are all good recommendations

Springers will all ways be life and soul and keep keen and working

Clumbers well everything susy has said I'm very impressed with them as a rough farm shoot type beating dog and will pretty much go everywhere a springer will but like a bull in a china shop.

Labs probably the easiest to train and always a good selection available to buy.

I will put forward a golden, yes, longer to mature than most other breeds but excellent with a family and when trained can be better than a lab but in a way have gone out of fashion amongst shooters.

What ever you decide though think of the family it comes from, review hips scores and eyes although no guarantee for the puppy just a better chance and put it first you may even find that you start to concentrate on the dog and leave the gun at home.

I think you can't beat a Labrador for an all rounder, easy to train, good with kids, fantastic temprament.

Springers very good and hard working, mad as a box of frogs !!

Clumber, my experience of them is not good, had the Clumber club at our shoot a few years ago, featured in shooting times, had to put bird in the mouth of one for a photo shoot, not a good dog between them.

Hungarian Vizsla :notworthy: lol ours is a good gun dog but she can be abit hyper :wallbash:

all the best georgia x

vizsla are cowards.

mate mine isent

all viszlas I saw and heard of were cowards. great dogs for birdhunting, no doubt - that's what they were bred for. but when it comes to retrieving a fox that isn't dead yet, you might want to not send the viszla as he will most probably dance around and bark. they retrieve in 99% of the cases the game alive. maybe I got other standards than you, but I would want a dog, that is a bit tougher than a viszla.

viszlas also are very sensitive, a loud word can undo 2 weeks of training.

if you want a dog for foxing stick to a terrier or a lurcher its what theyre bred for this thread is for a gun dog to work with bird etc mine are no cowards and do take a hard/loud word now and again...theyre not a dog you can beat but i prefer to train a dog rather than beat it anyhow!!! a lab or a spaniel wud also be a good choice im just biased on the vizsla as long as you get a decent working strain of dog you wont go wrong!!!

wha about the weimaraner, i am thinking of buying one of these. can you all give me some insight in to these dogs please.

i also work weimaraners a lot harder than a vizsla and would despatch a fox no problems... as long as you go the right way and get a pup from a decent working strain you wont go wrong,just make sure its a decent one,ul fail terribly otherwise....pm me if you're after a dog pup of either a vizsla or a weimaraner as i have a dog of both breeds available...see classifieds

ATB

Gaz

Edited by Garypco
Hungarian Vizsla :notworthy: lol ours is a good gun dog but she can be abit hyper :wallbash:

all the best georgia x

vizsla are cowards.

mate mine isent

all viszlas I saw and heard of were cowards. great dogs for birdhunting, no doubt - that's what they were bred for. but when it comes to retrieving a fox that isn't dead yet, you might want to not send the viszla as he will most probably dance around and bark. they retrieve in 99% of the cases the game alive. maybe I got other standards than you, but I would want a dog, that is a bit tougher than a viszla.

viszlas also are very sensitive, a loud word can undo 2 weeks of training.

if you want a dog for foxing stick to a terrier or a lurcher its what theyre bred for this thread is for a gun dog to work with bird etc mine are no cowards and do take a hard/loud word now and again...theyre not a dog you can beat but i prefer to train a dog rather than beat it anyhow!!! a lab or a spaniel wud also be a good choice im just biased on the vizsla as long as you get a decent working strain of dog you wont go wrong!!!

wha about the weimaraner, i am thinking of buying one of these. can you all give me some insight in to these dogs please.

i also work weimaraners a lot harder than a vizsla and would despatch a fox no problems... as long as you go the right way and get a pup from a decent working strain you wont go wrong,just make sure its a decent one,ul fail terribly otherwise....pm me if you're after a dog pup of either a vizsla or a weimaraner as i have a dog of both breeds available...see classifieds

ATB

Gaz

if i wasnt of to afghan soon i would have the weimaraner of you, dam it.

• 2 months later...